Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Attaching Retra LSD to ones self during a dive

Started by Chris Kippax ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Attaching Retra LSD to ones self during a dive

10 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    How is everyone attaching their Retra LSD snoot to themselves during a dive? I did not purchase the bag.

    I was just thinking about using caveline to attach a bolt snap and clip off to one of my d rings (left hip)

     

  2. If I'm diving with the LSD Snoot, I never take it off. I use Inon Z240 strobe's that require pretty precise positioning of the snoot, due to non central aiming light. Not something I want to do underwater,

     

    If I come across a subject that I dont want to snoot, I just use my second strobe, that has no snoot on it. Works for me.

     

    Btw the snoot has a little piece of cord on it, where you could attach it with a double ender. Same goes for the inserts that come with it.

  3. I thought about the double ender but if i was to manage the snoot and a mask set with a couple of double enders I could see it being a pain trying to manage undoing the double ender from the d ring then undoing it from the snoot and then reattaching it whilst holding the camera. A single half inch bolt snap on the snoot just seems easier.

     

    How do you manage your mask sets?

    I was just thinking to take the one I was most likely to use as I already have enough gear hanging off me.

  4. Hi Chris,

     

    I use 4 large stix floats around my each of second strobe arms, these are in my case, 30 cm long nauticam arms.

     

    Around these floats, I strapped 2 elastic bungee loops, pulled pretty tight. When I don't use my inserts, I put them under these tight bungee's, so they lay on top of the floats. This worked nice so far, even in currents.

     

    I usually only take 1 or 2 inserts. I wouldn't try this method with all 4 supplied inserts I guess.

     

    Another method would be to store them in the pockets on my wet or dry suit, where I store the SMB, but for me storing it on my strobe arm worked nicely so far. One arm has the insert for the big hole's, the other for the small hole's. Never used the other one's so far :crazy:

  5. Thanks mate

    Much appreciated 👍🏻 Happy diving

  6. I attached small stainless steel carabiners to the masks and chip them on to the loop on the LSD. Seems to work.

     

    Like Robin, I keep the LSD on the whole time. I figure if I'm taking the LSD, I'm going looking deliberately for snooting subjects.

  7. I tend to use mine on a separate tripod. It is attached to me with a double ender via a bungee loop around the head of the tripod

     

    I tend to only bring a few masks and they and the optical trigger are attached to another double ender.

     

    Both are then clipped to a hip D ring.

     

    Adam

  8. Hey Adam

     

    I'm about to pull the trigger on that tripod system you suggested..... :crazy:

  9. I have just been clipping the snoot and a single mask set via a single ended bolt snap to my left hip D ring. Works fine so far!

  10. In the pocket of my drysuit.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.