Long story short, I'm upgrading my rig from a TG-5 and trying to decide between the A6500 and the A7R III. One thing that has given me pause about making the leap to the A7R is the lack of onboard flash and strobe triggering. I intend on using either camera in a Nauticam housing and (due primarily to the lack of availability of the Z330s) running a pair of YS-D2J strobes. For several reasons, I would prefer to stick with optical strobe firing if at all possible.
I know Nauticam makes an LED trigger than they (now) say will trigger both the YS-D2 and YS-D2J (see https://www.nauticam.com/collections/flash-triggering/products/mini-flash-trigger-for-sony-compatible-with-na-a7-a7ii-a9). However, every other place on the internet stresses that this flash trigger will NOT reliably fire the YS-D2(J). Does anyone have any first hand experience this? Was a change made to the flash trigger recently to resolve the earlier issues with these strobes?
I assume that most folks shooting A7 series in Nauticam housings are triggering via sync cord. Any feedback on this? Am I being to stubborn trying to stay with FO and obsessing over nothing?