On my last dive trip, I was diagnosed with ear barotrauma. The symptoms were that several hours after the dive, both ears started to hurt and I developed a head ache. The doctor who diagnosed me put me on antibiotics, advil and Sudafed. I experience the same problem on a trip the year before and think I was misdiagnosed by the nurse on the small island we were diving on.
Now, on reflection, I think I missed a condition I had that contributed to this. Over the last last several years, I've developed a perpetual post nasal drip down the back on my mouth and throat. I chose not to treat this with medication. In hind sight, this condition likely contributed to my barotrauma. Unfortunately, neither myself nor my doctor caught the association with potential ear problems.
I have an appointment with an ENT coming up but here in Toronto Canada. DAN has not been able to provide me a reference to any specialist with dive medicine qualifications in my area.
I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has experienced this and have found a good prevention regiment. I understand from the doctor who diagnosed me there are steps that can be taken such as taking Sudafed starting the week before diving. The first is I've got myself on the medication for post nasal drip.
Thanks in advance for any insights. Hoping this does not mean the end of my diving days.