Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

macro lens

Started by jcowles3 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

macro lens

7 posts
  1. looking to get a nikon lens for my d7200 for the macro world and looking for sugestions... thanks

  2. I shoot with the Nikon D7200 also and I use the Nikon 60 mm 2.8 micro for macro and fish photography. Since you are using it on a crop sensor it ends up being closer to a 90mm. I have not tried it but I understand one of its draw backs is for super macro as it would be very difficult to use multipliers since its focus distance is so close. It is an amazing lens and great autofocus for macro, with most photos at tack sharp. Ive used it from the tiniest Shaun the sheep nudibranch to great fish portraits. Below are a couple of samples, check out my flickr for more.

     

    https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-micro-nikkor-60mm-f2.8g-ed.html

     

    46622997701_c080442a0c_b.jpgindonesia-28 by Karyll Gonzalez, on Flickr

    45925417204_9fc4055e16_b.jpgindonesia by Karyll Gonzalez, on Flickr

    39760204703_dd76ebeac6_b.jpgIndonesia-39 by Karyll Gonzalez, on Flickr

    46018685574_a71cefa3f3_b.jpgIndonesia-2 by Karyll Gonzalez, on Flickr

    46672189282_75d9840a1f_b.jpgIndonesia-38 by Karyll Gonzalez, on Flickr

     

    You can also use the Nikon 105mm, which with a crop lens would be like using a multiplier for supermacro. I have it but have not used it underwater. My understanding is that you have to use the manual focus mostly.

  3. Thanks and nice work!

  4. The 105mm is near 160mm equivalent focal length, may get away with it in very clear tropical water but in temperate water with particles floating around may give you problems. and restrict you to really small creatures. This guy uses a 60mm macro and the results speak for themselves: https://www.facebook.com/atj777

  5. One interesting option is to use the 60 with a 1.4 teleconverter. A bit more magnification and a bit more working distance. On a cropped sensor this can be an amazing combo

    Bill

  6. I've got both the 60 and 105vr macros, and matching Nauticam ports. Used the 60mm one dive on my D810, and it was just too short. Too little working distance to small critters, and they would often spook before I was in range.

     

    Also, no VR on the 60mm, and I think that helps a lot.

     

    I think the 105 on DX makes a ton of sense. I still have to crop a lot with the 105, and I tried a 1.4 teleconverter on it last week. I loved the working distance, but the combo just wasn't sharp enough.

  7. I used both the 60 and 105 on my old D300 (FX) system. The 60 was my go-to lens till I moved to Lembeh and got used to the 105. It was trickier to use on the DX but, after a while, that became my go-to macro lens.

     

    On FX the 105 is a no brainer.

     

    I’ve now got the D500 - again DX - and have stayed with the 105 and don’t now even own a 60mm. Being able to stand further back for macro shooting seems a huge advantage to me. Chris’ makes a fair point on turbid water with a 105 but, so far at least, I’ve used the 105 on several murkier-water trips and have been very happy with the results.

     

    As I say, a steepish learning curve - especially if you have a 45 degree viewfinder - but for me at least, well worth it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.