Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Tiger Sharks of tiger beach with ambient light and lens filter

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiger Sharks of tiger beach with ambient light and lens filter

10 posts
  1.  

     

    This is intentionally long hope you enjoy any feedback welcome!

     

    Edited after feedback from Lionfi2s

    Edited by Interceptor121
  2. NIce one! Much better than the previous one. Like someone already said in the previous video it is the ideal dive for filters application and to be honest I am not convinced that they offer something. Seen similar videos without any filters and the colors were the same or even better.

    What picture profile did you shoot it at? I am sure the 10 bit Vimeo version will be better in terms of color and banding in the water.

    Is this exported at 24fps? If it was shot at a higher frame rate can you please upload a 30 or 60 fps version? I think the cinematic 24 fps motion blur doesn't offer much here as I prefer to have a clear and sharp image of the shark at all times. In the same sense, I would increase the contrast slightly or even better the equivalent of Resolve mid-tone details in FCPX in an attempt to give detail to the shark skin.

     

    Thanks for sharing!

  3. NIce one! Much better than the previous one. Like someone already said in the previous video it is the ideal dive for filters application and to be honest I am not convinced that they offer something. Seen similar videos without any filters and the colors were the same or even better.

    What picture profile did you shoot it at? I am sure the 10 bit Vimeo version will be better in terms of color and banding in the water.

    Is this exported at 24fps? If it was shot at a higher frame rate can you please upload a 30 or 60 fps version? I think the cinematic 24 fps motion blur doesn't offer much here as I prefer to have a clear and sharp image of the shark at all times. In the same sense, I would increase the contrast slightly or even better the equivalent of Resolve mid-tone details in FCPX in an attempt to give detail to the shark skin.

     

    Thanks for sharing!

     

    I would like to see a video with better colors but again this is not really touched

     

    And filters do help actually though right now there is only a blue water solution

     

    This was uploaded 10 bits on youtube I do not have enough space on vimeo to load it there

     

    I shoot at 24p as I use 400 Mbps All intra and there is not 50 or 60p option plus the sharks move slowly and there is no need for higher frame rate the sharpness however has nothing to do with frame rate but with shutter speed and I shoot 1/50 to give motion blur and make it smooth

     

    For contrast increase I have not found a way to do it in FCPX without ruining the details of the shadows so I left it as is

    Edited by Interceptor121
  4. I see what you mean lion2fish let me create another link

  5.  

    I would like to see a video with better colors but again this is not really touched

     

    And filters do help actually though right now there is only a blue water solution

     

    This was uploaded 10 bits on youtube I do not have enough space on vimeo to load it there

     

    I shoot at 24p as I use 400 Mbps All intra and there is not 50 or 60p option plus the sharks move slowly and there is no need for higher frame rate the sharpness however has nothing to do with frame rate but with shutter speed and I shoot 1/50 to give motion blur and make it smooth

     

    For contrast increase I have not found a way to do it in FCPX without ruining the details of the shadows so I left it as is

    Thanks! When it comes to the filters well we just have to agree we disagree :)))

    As we also disagree that the final rendering frame rate has an impact on the motion blur. Most known example the Hobbit shot at 48fps at 180 deg shutter does not have the well known 24fps motion blur. So not 50 or 60 fps for 422 ALL-I but you still have the 30fps ALL-I 10bit 422 option available which is less "blurry" than 24fps.

    Not using FCPX so I can't help

    What codec did you export and upload to you tube?

    Edited by Lionfi2s
  6. Thanks! When it comes to the filters well we just have to agree we disagree :)))

    As we also disagree that the final rendering frame rate has an impact on the motion blur. Most known example the Hobbit shot at 48fps at 180 deg shutter does not have the well known 24fps motion blur. So not 50 or 60 fps for 422 ALL-I but you still have the 30fps ALL-I 10bit 422 option available which is less "blurry" than 24fps.

    Not using FCPX so I can't help

    What codec did you export and upload to you tube?

     

    So the 48fps 180 degrees means it is shot at 1/100 it is the shutter speed that makes the staccato not the 180 rule in itself. I would have needed to shoot at 1/100 to have a similar effect but I chose not too

     

    For youtube I use H264 but 10 bit and use the maximum bitrate for HDR even if not HDR I am going to reupload it in one hour look forward to your comments as I am new at FCPX

  7.  

    What codec did you export and upload to you tube?

     

    By the way just to give an idea of the YouTube compression the file I uploaded was 1.7 GB 56 mbps 10 bit H264 YouTube created a 290 MB 9.7 Mbps VP9

     

    The file I play on my Tv is HEVC 10 bits 1.3 Gb and my iMac can't play it so I have to do another 8 bit version

     

    I have no banding of any sort and I can't see it in YouTube in VP9 either

  8. This version is much better at least in my eyes Interceptor. No banding here either on an iMac 5K. I export H265 from handbrake and it plays on iMac.

     

     

    So the 48fps 180 degrees means it is shot at 1/100 it is the shutter speed that makes the staccato not the 180 rule in itself. I would have needed to shoot at 1/100 to have a similar effect but I chose not too

     

    180 rule refers to shutter speed. 1/100 shutter is 180 degrees shutter angle in shooting 50 (48) fps. Now the staccato (i love the word) is determined by a. frame rate shot b. shutter speed used. So anything filmed on a higher frame rate than 24Fps will be more staccato that 24 fps even if the 180 rule is followed. 24 fps (and any other rate for that matter) can be made to look more staccato (less motion blur) if shoot with a faster shutter than 180 degrees.

  9. This version is much better at least in my eyes Interceptor. No banding here either on an iMac 5K. I export H265 from handbrake and it plays on iMac.

     

    180 rule refers to shutter speed. 1/100 shutter is 180 degrees shutter angle in shooting 50 (48) fps. Now the staccato (i love the word) is determined by a. frame rate shot b. shutter speed used. So anything filmed on a higher frame rate than 24Fps will be more staccato that 24 fps even if the 180 rule is followed. 24 fps (and any other rate for that matter) can be made to look more staccato (less motion blur) if shoot with a faster shutter than 180 degrees.

     

    That's right 24p will be look staccato at 1/100 because the frames will not be blurred. However the same footage at 48p with 1/100 will look crisp as 1/100 gives little motion blur anyway

     

    Either way I can only shoot 24p 25p or 30p at 400 Mbps so in order to be multicountry I decided to shoot 24p and squeeze the last bit of quality from the footage

     

    I also export from handbrake it plays fine the H265 but on the Tv set i use X265-10 bit still 4:2:0 the files come 12% bigger

    Edited by Interceptor121
  10. Vimeo version I have a limit of 500 GB per week so the file I uploaded was 16 Mbps HEVC 10 bits however vimeo retains all of the detail

     

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.