Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Wet lens dome - image properties?

Started by horvendile ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Wet lens dome - image properties?

2 posts
  1. Hi. I've been asking a lot of questions here about new gear, and I have received a lot of great feedback, for which thanks. However, while I now know pretty much what I want to buy, I may be stuck with my current equipment for a while, simply because the new gear requires more funds than I can responsibly and immediately shell out.

    (I can do responsibly, OR immediately, but not immediately AND responsibly.)

     

    So, I've started thinking about how I can improve my photography with my current equipment, which is a Panasonic LX-100 in an Ikelite housing with two DS-51 strobes.

    With the housing I use a WD-4 wide angle dome (https://www.ikelite.com/products/wd-4-wide-angle-dome), which is a wet lens.

     

    My question now: does such a lens have optical properties equivalent with other dome ports? That is to say, do they also create a curved virtual image close to the port, requiring some serious stopping down to get decent edge results?

     

    You'd think I'd alreay know that, having used the WD-4 on several trips. But I don't, seeing as I don't quite know what to reasonably expect.

  2. it is not exactly as a dome but the approximation is close. Similar considerations apply however considering the focal lenght involved you should not have any issues working at very wide apertures

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.