Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Sharks having a go at my lights

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sharks having a go at my lights

6 posts
  1.  

    It happened a lot I wonder if it has to do with the purple Keldan colour?

  2. Where was this filmed?

  3. Where was this filmed?

    Tiger Beach Bahamas

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. I've seen reports of them being attracted to strobes, being able to detect the electrical energy from the strobe charging. Maybe the lights have similar electronics - one way to dim LEDs is to use a high speed switching device so they are only powered say 50% of the time and switch them very quickly to avoid flicker. The circuit to do that could easily put out a field attractive to the shark.

  5. I've seen reports of them being attracted to strobes, being able to detect the electrical energy from the strobe charging. Maybe the lights have similar electronics - one way to dim LEDs is to use a high speed switching device so they are only powered say 50% of the time and switch them very quickly to avoid flicker. The circuit to do that could easily put out a field attractive to the shark.

    I was using keldan that have a ring style progressive switch not a button. I was also shooting stills with strobes but I wasn’t as close as when I was taking videos but I got hit maybe once.

    Interesting!

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. I think though that regardless of how the light is controlled the internals are the same. You control LED brightness by controlling electric current. You could use a resistor to lower voltage and reduce the current, but that just wastes energy as heat so most use some type of duty cycle controller to vary the brightness , which can produce an electric field the shark can detect, the same as the charging circuit for the capacitor in a strobe. Or it might be the shark thought the light looked like a tasty fish!

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.