Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Moray species

Started by Dasher ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Moray species

4 posts
  1. Moray species

    I thought this might be a whitemouth moray but the spots are kind of backwards (black on white rather than white on brown). Perhaps a peppered moray (s. picta)? Photo from west coast of Okinawa. Depth 4 meters.

  2. Not 100% sure but to me it looks like a Black spotted Moray Gymnothorax tessellata

     

    We have similar beasts on the east coast of UAE and Oman that we call Honeycomb Morays Gymnothorax favagineus

  3. Thanks! I looked up your answer in fishbase and it looks right. Hard to tell with out seeing teeth, etc. Interestingly, fishbase lists G. tessellata as a synonym of G. favagineus.

  4. I'm pretty sure that's G. favagineus, fairly common throughout the Indo-Pacific. I've never heard of the synonum.

     

    Helmut Debelius (and several other sourcebooks) give the common name "Honeycomb moray", but I think I've also heard them called something else. Very pretty eels, which can grow fairly large.

     

    Here's a couple more, both from Amed, Bali, in Indonesia:

     

    DSCF3244_TG.jpg

     

    DSCF3257_TG.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.