Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Camera Upgrade - Help

Started by jilly ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera Upgrade - Help

5 posts
  1. Camera Upgrade - Help

    Hi Folks

     

    I have been playing about with a minolta dimage x compact camera however feel this is now a bit restricting and am looking at getting a next step up. I've been looking at the Sony range i.e.P10, P100 etc or the Olympus 5050zoom, or cannon S60. Something along that sort of line....do not feel ready for SLR or anything quite so complicated as yet....I would be greatful for any advice and opinions people can give.

    Thanks

    :roll:

  2. I won't touch the Sony since they don't have full options of control the camera, its more like the old P&S cameras.

    From the Oly or the Canon, you have to see the specs of each of them and decide what is more suit to your needs.

    I have the S50, its a nice camera with full control also u/w, one problem I found with it is the macro that its not so good and as I know its much better in the Oly.

  3. Hi,

     

    The general reccomendation here will be the Oly 5050z. If you can find one, get

    it (the super macro is good, it holds 2 types of flash card at once and takes batteries

    you can buy in a convience store.) That being said I think the UFL 165AD from Inon

    is a way cool fisheye lens (for $370 or so, it's much cheaper than the wide angle and

    dome port combinations for the 5050z) and would be a factor in favor of the cannon

    or sony if you were thinking that juggling adapter lenses underwater would be

    attemptable but your budget was limited.

     

    Dan

  4. check classifieds..im selling 2 oly 5050.

     

    M.

  5. My experience with olys, nikons and canons is that the slow autofocus, and shutter release is the most frustrating part of using the P&S digis underwater. The focus gets even slower, as light gets dim, or contrast gets low. Even with a focus light, (which scares away some subjects), the focus is sssslllllooooowwwww.

     

    The Sony V1, (or soon out V3), would be better choices.

     

    They have full support for manual exposure, aperature priority, etc.

     

    The great thing about these camera, is their incredibly fast focus, and final shutter release.

     

    Ikelite makes a V1 housing now.

     

    I'm holding out for the V3, since it supports raw mode.

     

    The Minolta A2 also has a really fast focus and shutter release. But only some housing named "bruder" is listed as available, and I can't find anyone who has used them.

     

    Don

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.