Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dome advice D500 with 8-15

Started by Draq ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Dome advice D500 with 8-15

8 posts
  1. Any meaningful benefit to a 140 vs 100 dome for a Nikon 8-15 on a D500 in a Nauticam housing? I would prefer smaller dome if it does not cause much issue in corners.

     

    Thanks

  2. Any meaningful benefit to a 140 vs 100 dome for a Nikon 8-15 on a D500 in a Nauticam housing? I would prefer smaller dome if it does not cause much issue in corners.

     

    Thanks

    My experience which was shooting the 10.5mm on the D2X so is a bit dated is that I could and did use dome ports from a 100mm diameter macro dome port to a superdome. That is a strength of using a fisheye lens. I used them according to shooting circumstances. The superdome produced the best results that were noticeable even with 12 megapxels.The tiny dome worked better in water too shallow for the larger domes - but note that the camera was very close to the subject.

  3. Thanks for that input. I don't have a shallow water issue like you do, but was not sure if the 100 might cause some vignetting or other issues. I would not really expect corner issues with a fisheye. The Nauticam 140 dome is also listed on their chart as working with a 1.4 TC and there is no indication on the Zen chart about using a TC with their 100mm.

  4. I have really good success with my Nikon 8-15 Fisheye behind the Nauticam 140mm dome port. The Nauticam chart says to use (for FX) the 20mm extension with it, where as with the canon model, a 30mm is more appropriate. But that was before Nauticam came out with a 25mm extension ring, which is what I am using now. When using the lens with a 1.4x TelePlus converter I simply add another 30mm extension to it to get in the sweet spot.

  5. Walt, I think youll find its an extra 20mm extension thats needed with the Kenko 1.4x TC

  6. Thanks. I am now leaning towards the 140, although the smaller size would be nicer for CFWA. I assume the 20mm extension is equally applicable to DX.

  7. Walt, I think youll find its an extra 20mm extension thats needed with the Kenko 1.4x TC

    Correct, my bad, it is a 20mm not the 30mm as I had stated.

     

     

    Thanks. I am now leaning towards the 140, although the smaller size would be nicer for CFWA. I assume the 20mm extension is equally applicable to DX.

     

    As to doing CFWA, I have not seen a real measure difference between using the 140mm and the 100mm mini dome. However, when doing more general wide-angle, the 140mm does a better job than a mini dome.

  8. Thank you. I appreciate the help.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.