Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Antarctica: crabeater seals under the ice

Started by heynsheyns ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Antarctica: crabeater seals under the ice

8 posts
  1. Went down to Antarctica in March (7 days on the peninsula). We made it down past the polar circle to 66˚ 33’ 47.5’S and were able to dive under an iceberg in Crystal Sound where a friendly and curious crabeater seal chose to spend some time with us under the ice. A pretty magical experience.

     

    A few photos embedded here. For more pictures see: instagram.com/bunderwater

     

    32838046157_b7920bc75c_b.jpg

    by Michael Heyns, on Flickr

    46865142655_91540dda2b_b.jpg

    by Michael Heyns, on Flickr

    46992222284_81a5c2a691_b.jpg

    Michael Heyns, on Flickr

    47781442871_a2aff353cb_b.jpg

    by Michael Heyns, on Flickr

     

  2. Wow, what a wonderful experience that must have been. That is a "bucket list" trip for me. Thanks for the images.

  3. Looks spectacular - I would love to go. I assume from the black and white that the vis was not ideal. What was the average vis situation across the trip?

  4. I love this set! Great job on #1. I love the close up!

  5. Beautiful, when I went I settled for snorkeling, since hauling my own dive gear as required, plus u/w camera equipment, seemed too difficult. It ended up being a good choice for a number of reasons but I wish I could have done just one dive.

  6. Dramatic. I love them!

  7. beautiful images!

  8. Amazing, was the light easier to work with having all that white ice / reflectors around?

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.