With an upcoming purchase of a D850, what are the must have lenses ? I have a 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro. Thinking of a 8-15mm and....... Any Zoom lenses that produce great results when used underwater ? I like Nauticams flip with a SMC and a WWL-1 idea, lot of options for different pictures underwater. I dont want to be tied down to one lens option in case a great photo op comes along.
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Lens versatility or combinations
-
-
WWL-1 doesn't have any Nikon FX lenses listed as compatible (the only full-frame system that it works with is Sony FE 28mm), but you can use MWL-1 with 60mm macro to get a 150 degree field of view.
-
Depends on how deep your pockets are, there are plenty of options 16-35 f4 but it needs a big 230mm dome or you could use the WACP with a 28-70 f3.5/4.5 D which gives you 10-25mm equivalent lens this gives 130° on the diagonal, reckoned to be the sharpest option into the corners but it's $$$ and heavy needing a buoyancy collar. If you already have the 60mm macro and port the MWL-1 would be tempting 150° for wide and 60mm for fish portraits and macro. Port cahrts are here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bqmrYay8GTrmBTknoi_Nd0UKCUb9mh9t/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dYQNtfigBm5Qzl-_yTlx3gitEaULon4u/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/183ibiWvhq_SuB21wyPfYgz8y92Dj09Pe/view
-
With an upcoming purchase of a D850, what are the must have lenses ? I have a 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro. Thinking of a 8-15mm and....... Any Zoom lenses that produce great results when used underwater ? I like Nauticams flip with a SMC and a WWL-1 idea, lot of options for different pictures underwater. I dont want to be tied down to one lens option in case a great photo op comes along.
I shoot a D850 now, after 3 years shooting D810. I find a distinctive lack of options for lenses underwater, but mostly in the normal range. I've 60micro, 105vr and 16-35 lenses and ports, plus 1.4TC, a +2 diopter and a Sea and Sea Internal Correction lens. I shoot the 16-35 ona 90mm extension through a 230mm dome.
What I'd LIKE to have is a 24-70vr underwater. Or something around that focal range.
If you like fisheyes, you have several options. If you have a lot of money, the new MWL1 (Macro Wide Angle) wet lens looks pretty interesting.
On my wide angle end, I was always disappointed with the edges with the 16-35. The +2 diopter made no difference (but perhaps would with a 70mm extension). But the Sea and Sea Internal Correction Lens made a huge, positive difference. I'm beyond sold on that one.
On the macro end, I've tried the 60mm macro with the idea that I could get more full-body shots of divers, and basically have a more normal lens. What I found was that for the macro stuff, the 60mm was just too short. I bailed on it after a single dive.
When using the 105vr, I've often found it impossible to get as close as needed to fill the frame with a subject. So I tried adding a 1.4 teleconverter for a 150mm macro lens combo. I loved that focal length, but I gave up on the TC after one day when I reviewed the images that night and found them a bit soft.
My plan going forward (seriously) is to get one of those nifty little $300 dive housings for my Android phone and use it for more normal shots while shooting either macro or wide.
-
My plan going forward (seriously) is to get one of those nifty little $300 dive housings for my Android phone and use it for more normal shots while shooting either macro or wide.
Keep in mind that you can't sync strobes with a phone, as they lack a mechanical shutter required for that - you'd need to use LEDs, or ambient light.
-
With an upcoming purchase of a D850, what are the must have lenses ? I have a 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro. Thinking of a 8-15mm and....... Any Zoom lenses that produce great results when used underwater ? I like Nauticams flip with a SMC and a WWL-1 idea, lot of options for different pictures underwater. I dont want to be tied down to one lens option in case a great photo op comes along.
What do you want to take pictures of? No sense someone recommending an ultra wide (weitwinkel) if you dive where there is no visibility.
Rick
-
With an upcoming purchase of a D850, what are the must have lenses ? I have a 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro. Thinking of a 8-15mm and....... Any Zoom lenses that produce great results when used underwater ? I like Nauticams flip with a SMC and a WWL-1 idea, lot of options for different pictures underwater. I dont want to be tied down to one lens option in case a great photo op comes along.
Hey Brad
Although I haven't used a D850 (I've gone back to the D500), I used a D800 for a good number of years and, in terms of lenses, it's pretty much the same thing.
I agree with phxzacraig that the 60mm isn't too much use on the FX sensor of the D850 - certainly for macro. It just doesn't fill the frame. The 105mm is, I thought, the way to go.
As for wide-angle, I used the 16-35 and liked it. As Chris points out, it does though need the 230 dome - which, I found, a bit of a monster to travel with. The other option is the Nikkor 8-15 which is, of course, fisheye rather than the rectilinear of the 16-35. The 8-15 is great though for the divers up against the reef type shots. I liked the 16-35 for the bigger fish (eg dolphins) images and maybe wrecks where straight lines are important and not achievable with the fisheye.
As for the inbetweeny lenses - or the "I don't want to miss a shot" images: I tried a DX 16-80 during my D300 days and it just never really worked. It was never right and the images were rarely anything special. I came to the conclusion that for DSLRs, "extreme" lenses (ie fisheye or macro) were always the way to go. This was more so when I moved to FX and the D800. Even more so if I had a D850. I just didn't want to take that one-size-might-fit-all approach. If I had the wrong lens on, such is/was life. I thought it better to go out to take specific shots of specific creatures and have the right lens for that. If the whale shark came along when I had a macro on.... hey, another time!
I'm now back to DX and a D500. I still use only either a 105mm or a Tokina 10-17 fisheye; and I'm about to try out the Nikkor 8-15. So still extremes.