Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Blown Highlights on Florescent dive gear.

Started by acroporas ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Blown Highlights on Florescent dive gear.

5 posts
  1. Blown Highlights on Florescent dive gear.

    I have been having problems with divers having florescent dive gear. Hoses, fins, flashlights tanks ect painted with florescent paint. Yellow tanks are especially bothersome, not only are they overexposed but they cause a yellow glow on nearby gear.

     

     

    Any good tricks to avoid overexposing florescent gear.

  2. I have the same problem. So far the only solution I have found is the clone tool.

     

    But I see that the new version of Paint shop Pro 9.0 has a tool that claims to address this problem.

     

    "The Chromatic Aberration Removal filter helps eliminate the colored glow that often appears in digital photos, especially in high contrast areas of an image."

     

    If you post a picture I will see if the tool addresses the problem.

     

    Corrected some grammar.

  3. Hi!

     

    I experienced the same because my buddy uses equipment with lots of yellow or fluorescent parts (BC, fins, torch).

    Extremely high contrast is one of the weak points in CMOS CCDs, I've been told. Full Frame Transfer CCDs are said to allow a dynamic range of up to 12 f stops. In a few months I'll be able to tell you if this is valid in UW imaging too.

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  4. While I can't offer an explanation for what causes this, I do know that the culprit with video is often the filter. I know that's unlikely when a filter isn't present!

     

    I doubt that a chromatic aberration tool will help much with the problem.

     

    My take on this is to avoid having any such gear on me out of consideration for other photographers and hopefully they will do the same. Otherwise I avoid shooting it except with video. It would seem that, if were an overexposure issue, it would show up in the histogram. If it doesn't then it is an optical problem (like filter flare in video) and you need to address it there.

  5. Fred Miranda has a Canon highlight reduction action l which I have had some success with. As I have not had your spesific problem I cant comment on its effectiveness for your situation. Check the examples at http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/HR . ( No affiliation!)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.