Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Not got a clue

Started by Rob Pinch ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Not got a clue

7 posts
  1. Hi all

    Total beginner here

    I have an ixus 132 with ikelite housing, I dont do much diving maybe once twice a year but Im always snorkelling wen Im away and want to take better photos

    I know its not the best equipment but I am looking to get a strobe and a new lens

    Any advice will be much appreciated, but please no professional term as I havent got a clue

     

    Many thank

    Rob

    Edited by Rob Pinch
  2. Want are you wanting to shoot?, the course of action may change depending upon whether you want wide angle or macro or both. The lens on this camera is not that wide and shooting through a flat port means it's equivalent to a 35mm lens (the view is magnified looking through a flat port)

     

    You say you want a new lens - what do you mean by that? the lens on these cameras is fixed so can't be changed- do you mean an external wet lens? Or are you looking at changing cameras?

     

    I would caution though just getting a strobe won't necessarily solve your problem you need to set the camera so the main light comes from the flash and the Ixus 132 makes that difficult to impossible. Ideally it needs manual exposure mode so you can reduce ambient light and set the flash so it provides sufficient light. Setting it to under expose by 1/2 - 1 stop and using manual flash might work but you couldn't be sure till you tried. Most cameras on auto will set the exposure from ambient light and add a little bit of flash which means the photos will be that flat blue/green colour.

  3. Buy a wide angle lens especially if you snorkel it will help you fit everything in the frame and get closer

     

    The camera has a 28mm lens I suggest you get an Inon UWL-H100 or you can get an Ikelite 6430 W-30 that is a rebrand of Epoque lenses

     

    You can learn to set custom white balance that with the ixus works very well

     

    At later stage for diving you can add a strobe and arm plus tray

     

    Ambient light is relatively straight forward

     

    Your camera does not have a manual mode so I would consider changing it however the wet lens and strobe will last more than the camera so I think if you do not want to invest too much it will be ok to start with

  4. ChrisRoss

    There isn’t anything in particular that I want to photo just wen I see something nice would be good to have a pic of it

    And it would be an external wet lens

    This is all every new to me, I watch a lot of YouTube but still can’t get my head around it

  5. Interceptor

    Would you say iv wasted my money buying this camera and housing?

    If I were to purchase the 1st lens you suggested would that help with the quality of photos wen snorkelling?

  6. Interceptor

    Would you say iv wasted my money buying this camera and housing?

    If I were to purchase the 1st lens you suggested would that help with the quality of photos wen snorkelling?

    You need to start somewhere my wife started with an ixus 65

    The wet lens and strobe can be reused so I would not think of changing until you know more what you are doing

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. You need to start somewhere my wife started with an ixus 65

    The wet lens and strobe can be reused so I would not think of changing until you know more what you are doing

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thank you

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.