Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Diving Solomons

Started by MitHere ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving Solomons

4 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    Anyone here dived the Solomons much? Especially around Western Province?

    Want big pelagics and big reef fish.. dogtooth tuna, big sharks, etc.

     

    Cheers,

    Adam

  2. I'd suggest contacting Kelli and Sam at the Bilikiki, they may have knowledge of that area. bilikiki@bilikikiI.com

  3. I was a regular out there years ago but haven't been in a long time.  I can tell you that basing yourself in Gizo, Munda, or Uepi will yield all the opportunities for big pelagics that you could want.  Grand Central Station near Gizo is great for sharks and tuna and is easily combined with a dive on the spectacular Toa Maru wreck.  Uepi is known for the occasional hammerhead or tiger.  Munda is in the middle of the Marovo lagoon and probably the prettiest spot for above water tourism. All of them are within a boat ride of each other so you can always do all the sites from any base.  I don't have current info on the operators but I know that Dive Gizo is still there since the 1980s and still run by Danny Kennedy so he is a great source of information. In short it is a great destination. 

  4. There are now international flights from Brisbane to Munda...the travel options are expanding.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.