Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

A7r ii meikon housing - switching modes

Started by nakmuay ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

A7r ii meikon housing - switching modes

9 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I'm using the meikon housing for the a7r ii and was wondering if there is a way around the limitation of not being able to use the mode selector wheel. There is actually a control for the wheel, but the button that needs to be pressed in order to rotate the wheel does not exist.

     

    I have a feeling that there might be another solution that pushes down the button and then the wheel should be able to do its job. Was wondering if anyone out there had a solution to this problem. I'd love to be able to take pictures and videos during the same dive...

     

    Thanks!

  2. While I don't own an A7R II, my A6300 is from the same generation, and the controls are likely quite similar - it's possible to activate video recording mode by hitting the red video button on the right side of the camera while in any of the PASM modes; no need to spin the mode wheel.

  3. It does not allow me to take videos and specifically tells me it's invalid in any other mode than video - couldn't find any settings that would change it... I'll to google some more, but I'm relatively confident it won't work for the a7r ii

  4. I own a A7RII and ALL my videos are shot on M, S or A mode. Or your firmware is wrong or is something wrong with you camera...

  5. There is some setting I overlooked that specifically allows you to use the button always or only in video mode - found it thanks to your comments - thanks to the both of you :) That will definitely save me some time

  6. Hi NakMuay,

     

    I know it's been a while, but I have an A7R ii, are you happy with your Meikon housing? If so what lenses were/are you shooting, and what stones? Thanks mate!

  7. Any info would be much appreciated!

  8. I would suggest reading the fine print on Meikon housings - they of course work and will keep your camera dry but they have various limitations.  If you are just using the flat port for macro you won't have too many issues, however the wide ports are somewhat limited, they come with a  6"" dome port which is a little small for the wide end of the 16-35 and 12-24 lens and will not be optimised for either in terms of port position.  It means the corners will be quite mushy at the wide end of those zooms.   Strobe triggering is by sync cord only.

    Far better IMO to look around for a second hand housing, you'll get a much nicer product that is easier to use.

  9. I can't speak to the Meikon housing for a Sony, but I used a Meikon housing for my Olympus OM-D E-M10 for about 4 years. That housing did not even have changeable ports. I could only use it with the kit 14-42 lens.

    But, I was able to mount a Nauticam M67 bayonet fitting on the housing and then use my WWL-1 with it. I got results with that setup that I have been very happy with. I started with the Meikon wet wide angle dome. The WWL-1 was a major step up in image quality. 

    I don't have very many photos posted on IG, but all but the last 4 u/w photos that are there were shot with the E-M10 in a Meikon housing, with the WWL-1. The last 4 on there were shot with my newer a7rIV, with or without the same WWL-1, depending on the shot. All of those, with the Sony 28mm prime lens.

    https://www.instagram.com/stuartv666/

    If the Meikon housing has 67mm threads on the flat port, I think it is an excellent want to get started in u/w photography without having to make a huge investment. Save money on a housing and spend it on a WWL-1 and good strobes. Then, later, you can carry the strobes and WWL-1 over to a better camera and/or housing, when you develop an actual need for it.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.