Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Beginner advices

Started by lbedogni ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Beginner advices

3 posts
  1. Hi all, I own an Olympus em1.2, which I mainly use for stills. However, recently I'd like to explore some of its video capabilities. Except buying lights, which I already did, what do you advise as basic settings/techniques to start with? Any guide?

     

    What I know now:

    - shoot at 60p to possibly slow down footage

    - shutter speed double to fps, so 1/125

    - f/8 to get most of the stuff in focus

     

    Anything else?

  2. That's a good start. You can also shoot in OM-Log400 picture profile. Your footage won't look as nice straight out of camera but it will give you much more flexibility when color correcting in post. If you don't plan on doing much processing of your footage however, might be best to stick with the standard picture profile.

     

    As you mentioned however, I would definitely think about getting some lights. It's difficult to impossible to get nice looking footage underwater without artificial lighting unless you are sticking super close to the surface.

     

    Happy shooting!

     

    Hi all, I own an Olympus em1.2, which I mainly use for stills. However, recently I'd like to explore some of its video capabilities. Except buying lights, which I already did, what do you advise as basic settings/techniques to start with? Any guide?

    What I know now:
    - shoot at 60p to possibly slow down footage
    - shutter speed double to fps, so 1/125
    - f/8 to get most of the stuff in focus

    Anything else?

  3. I would like to resume this tread. I am just sitting here and try to postprocess some video that I recorded with EM1II using OM-Log400 with Adobe Premiere Elements 15. Already with the linear encoding white balance was difficult. Now I find it impossible to end up with results that are sufficient even at lowest expectations...

    Is there a standard procedure how to postprocess this footage?

     

    Thanks, Wolfgang

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.