Hi Everyone,
I'm looking at down scaling from a Nikon D7000 in a Nauticam housing to a smaller compact which will allow greater flexible ie. ability to shoot macro and wide angle on a dive. Ideally I want to use the images in publications and the video to have HD capability. Any suggestions? Thanks Sheree
I've shot with a number of Canon point-n-shoots, then a Sony RX100 (II), then a Nikon D810 and now a Nikon D850. I added external strobes with the Sony RX100.
By far the biggest difference in image quality improvements resulted from two things:
1. adding strobes
2. autofocus improvements
Lesser improvements came from better lenses, and of course lots of resolution. Another sometimes-overlooked aspect is dynamic range. The D810 and D850 shot at ISO 64 have huge dynamic range, and I make very full use of that range in post-processing. if you want to see how the images improved, you can just hop around my web site (www.cjcphoto.com) and look at some of the older web pages (all are in chronological order) compared to the newer ones. (I also have a before-and-after page showing shots right out of camera compared to post-processed in Lightroom.)
Adding strobes: Finally I had light, and light I could control. I first used dual strobes with the Sony RX100 and it was able to get shots I couldn't approach with ambient lighting. I moved the strobes on to the DSLR rigs and still use them today.
Autofocus: Let's face it - AF on point-n-shoots pretty much sucks, though it's probably improved since my Canon s120 and Sony RX100 II came out. But with the cameras I've used, the autofocus points have been too large to really discriminate the subject I want a lot of the time, and slow enough that I have a huge collection of 'fish swimming out of frame' shots. The D810 cured that issue, and the D850 further improves on it.
There are big tradeoffs when you move to a DSLR rig. Besides the cost. The equipment is so big that I take up two carry-on bags (waist bag and roller bag) plus some space in a suitcase to hold the rig (disassembled). And crucially I'm limited to wide angle or macro with nothing in between. (I use Nauticam housings, and there simply aren't any recommended mid-range lenses and matching ports).