Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Two from Roatan

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Two from Roatan

6 posts
  1. The top one looks to be a tobaccofish - Serranus tabacarius

  2. The top one looks to be a tobaccofish - Serranus tabacarius

    Yes! I think you are correct and I just have an odd angle to ID.

     

    The second one seems some sort of snapper, maybe a Mutton Snapper.

  3. Perhaps... though I dont see the vertical bars that muttons have.... how big was the snapper?

  4. Perhaps... though I dont see the vertical bars that muttons have.... how big was the snapper?

    I don't know. I was just going through a batch of images that all were 'eye-centric' and came across that one. I do not remember seeing another fish like it on any of my Roatan trips. It was taken with a 105mm lens, which may give some idea of the size. I don't think the image is cropped.

  5. Looking at the shape of the operculum (gill cover), I believe you are correct in thinking that its a mutton snapper. The way it has a small spike shape right on the caudal corner seems, to me, to be indicative of a Lutjanus analis.

     

    post-41873-0-55740100-1561491086_thumb.jpeg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.