Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What lens for FP Fakarava

Started by Chris Kippax ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

What lens for FP Fakarava

6 posts
  1. HI All

     

    Planning a trip to Fakarava in French Polynesia.

     

    I am not completely decided on what lens to take. I don't really want to buy another lens and weight is a major consideration. The max carry on weight is 5KG and my checked will be loaded with dive gear and camera stuff.

     

    Using a FF body, the suitable lens I have are

     

    Canon 8-15 F4 fish eye: This one is a certain

     

    Canon 24mm F1.4 II: Not sure if this will have enough reach for sharks

     

    Canon 35mm F1.4 : Not sure if this will be too tight

     

    I would like to come away from the trip with a very nice shark portrait and a few shots of the wall of sharks.

    I would use the fisheye for under/over and some UWA.

    The 24 would be good for shots under their jetty

    The 35 would be good for sharks that won't come too close

     

    I would love to take them all but weight is a major concern.

    I would also like to take a few top side shots, mainly beaches and a few of my wife.

     

    What would you do in my scenario

  2. Your problem seems to be that your primes are of the fastest variety and therefore quite large. I would buy slower primes that are light enough to carry both. Buy them used, then sell them afterwards. If you get lucky you might not even pay a single cent.

  3. the classic recommendation I have seen on various posts is for a 16-35mm lens - the f4 version is fine - no advantage going to the f2.8 but needs a big dome at 16mm end, though a S&S correction lens will help with corners - or if it's sharks in the blue, corners don't matter so much.

     

    I've used my 12-40 (24-80 equiv) for grey nurse sharks and it does a fine job - not often I get close enough to wish for wider. What dome do you have?

  4. I Have a 9inch dome and the sea & sea correction lens.

    The 24mm May be the best option as I can always crop a little vs being too tight with the 35.

    I have had some luck with my 8-15 fish eye with some GNS in the past. The conditions were tough with lots of particles in the water and it was my first ever dive using WA with a DSLR. I Hid in the kelp and shot them as they passed over. I think the 24mm would of been a better choice for the GNS. I had to wait until they were less than a metre away with the fisheye.

    post-54742-0-11858300-1561798661_thumb.jpeg

    Edited by Chris Kippax
  5. I'd agree with Chris Ross on 16-35 being ideal. Good enough if they get close but also pretty good if they won't come near. But, yeah, often tricky to house on FF - although folks are sure saying good things about that Sea & Sea correction lens.

     

    This isn't terribly helpful with the lenses you have (sorry!). I don't think the 8-15 will work unless they come REALLY close and that's not my experience in French Polynesia.

     

    If you have to go with one lens, I'd suggest the 24mm.

  6. The 16-35 would seem to be ideal apart from the fact you don't have it. Maybe look around on Ebay to see if anything is going at a tempting price Looks like the 16-35 f4 sells for $700- $900 range on Ebay in Australia. you might also research other models like the 20-35 or 24-70?. I'm sure the 24mm would be quite capable, but not sure I'd want to be so restricted.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.