Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Direct Connect (Synchro????) TTL or Wireless Remote TTL????

Started by Kengar ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Direct Connect (Synchro????) TTL or Wireless Remote TTL????

2 posts
  1. Direct Connect (Synchro????) TTL or Wireless Remote TTL????

    I'm a totally newbie, doing some research here.

     

    I've purchased an Oly 8080 and have not yet decided on housing. I know the Ikelight housing permits a direct connection from the strobe to the housing with a TTL chord (I'm assuming that is what's referred to as a "synchro" setup, yes, no???), and I assume that is required since the housing does not permit the internal flash to pop up for a sensor-based setup to work.

     

    The Oly housing, on the other hand, does permit the internal flash to pop up, so it can use a setup where the strobe "watches" the internal flash, with the "watching" sensor connected to the strobe by a cable. I assume that is what is referred to as slaved TTL, yes?? no??

     

    Two questions: Does the Oly housing permit the direct connection sort of setup, like the IkeLight Setup?

     

    I assume the slaved TTL approach (sensor watching the camera) is preferred, since the packages with it are more expensive than the direct connect (synchro) TTL configuration. If so, in what way is it better? Or am I wrong on that, and is direct connection (synchro) better route to go for a newbie??

     

    Thanks for your help.

     

    Ken.

  2. I haven't got my hands on the 8080 and Oly housing yet, but I'm pretty sure it is capable of TTL flash using a sync cord. One consideration using a remote slave sensor is that a flash from another diver's strobe can set off your strobe since your remote sensor reads that as the signal to fire. I personally prefer the direct sync cord connection between strobe and housing. That way I know the strobe is direct wired to my housing and will only fire when I want it to.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.