Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G7 mark II

Started by thalassa_gr ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G7 mark II

3 posts
  1. I would like your opinion for Canon G7 mark II. I am thinking of upgrading my G16. Has anyone used it? How is the touch screen underwater. Do you have to go through the menu to make changes on your settings?

     

  2. The touchscreen is not touchable when the camera is in a housing. The menu is necessary. But the buttons and rings work in most housings so you really don't need the menu for the most common changes, like f-stop and shutter speed.

  3. The G7 Mk III was just announced this week.

     

    As for your question, I have been diving a G16 with Ikelite TTL housing for several years now. I quite love it, though I am not as fond of the corded TTL. I swapped another camera system to Inon Z240s and optical sync and am much happier.

     

    I looked at the G7 as well as the G9. They are almost the same camera (sensor, electronics, etc) but the G7 is considered to have a much better lens than the G9. It's also a bit 'thicker' than the G9 as a result.

     

    I don't like the G7 housings as they all have the oval port, which I dislike from a purely aesthetics standpoint.

     

    Also pure personal opinion, but I really do NOT want a touchscreen in my UW camera. Reading the reviews for the G9 & G7, it works (RecSea housing), but it's really fiddly to set up the first time, or so the reviews say.

     

    I ended up going with the Olympus TG-6 and PT-059 housing because it was so small. The TG-6 is the same native resolution (megapixels etc) as the G16, which was plenty good enough for me. I went for it based 100% on size (and cost, but that was incidental).

     

    So far after first dive I quite like it. I'm happy with my purchase (bought July 4, arrived July 9, 1st dive July 13).

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.