Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Float for 3/4" Locline

Started by Harin ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Float for 3/4" Locline

8 posts
  1. What do you use to adjust the buoyancy of a 3/4" Locline arms?

     

    I saw in a recent Blueworld episode that they were using something that looks like a StiX Jumbo float, but I couldn't find one that were made for the locline (Or do the one for ULCS arms just fit on a locline arm?). I have also seen float from BTS, but not sure how they would work as some version has rubber band around the foam, while the version sold for the locline doesn't (seem like they would be prone to falling off when you jump off the boat).

     

    https://www.housingcamera.com/id3088-stix-sx-ful3.html

     

    https://www.housingcamera.com/id3696-bts-bf-flex-75-7.html

    post-93117-0-90976100-1563745866_thumb.png

  2. I have used these which can be purchased in different sizes to use whatever combination you need to dial in your rig buoyancy. Just drill out the center to slide onto your Locline arm diameter. I have done that on my ULC style arms but I see no reason it would not work on Locline arms. You probably would want to stick with some wider diameters if you need more flotation rather than wider thickness so you do not limit the arms range of motion. I have not found these to compress at all down to 75 feet. They are cheap to boot so you can get many sizes to see what works best.

     

    https://www.memphisnet.net/category/floats-pvc

  3. Stix floats for UCLS arms work fine on 3/4 inch Locline:

    post-5262-0-61139300-1563759264_thumb.jpg

    post-5262-0-56835900-1563759276_thumb.jpg

  4. Stix floats for UCLS arms work fine on 3/4 inch Locline:

     

    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

  5. What type of float can I get with this type of arm?

    post-2895-0-03358400-1563768470_thumb.jpg

  6. I use slices cut from a hollow swimming noodle. Incredibly cheap and easy to adjust by sliding on more/less rings.

    They loose a bit of buoyancy with depth and age, but not too much. I just put an extra ring or two every few years.

  7. 14 minutes ago, JohnLiddiard said:

    I use slices cut from a hollow swimming noodle. Incredibly cheap and easy to adjust by sliding on more/less rings.

    They loose a bit of buoyancy with depth and age, but not too much. I just put an extra ring or two every few years.

    Hey John

    That's amazing! To what depth do you think they provide any kind of buoyancy?

     

  8. I have done 70m dives with them. Likely accelerated the permanent squashing down and the need for an extra ring or two for the next season.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.