Just got my TG-6 and have been playing with it on land before getting wet in a couple weeks.
The early reviews all pointed to the new minimum shutter speed setting as one of the big upgrade over the TG-5. Essentially, you can set a minimum shutter speed as high as 1/500, as long as you're in Auto-ISO mode (with option to set maximum ISO as low as 400).
After experimenting with it, though, it seems like the minimum shutter speed feature only works if the flash is turned on. With the flash off, the shutter speed seems to be back on an auto setting, with the camera selecting values much lower than the minimum I set.
This is fine for shooting with strobes, but I would love to be able to have some shutter speed control when shooting ambient light - for example, snorkeling with dolphins, where a fast shutter speed is critical.
Has anyone else encountered this issue? The manual does not mention this limitation to the shutter speed control, so I wonder if there's something I'm missing.