Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish from Anilao, Philippines

Started by chowe ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish from Anilao, Philippines

11 posts
  1. I'm hoping someone here knows a few of these fish. The fish on the Halimeda allowed a close approach and never moved. I'm pretty sure one is a Juvenile Snapper, but not sure which one. Thanks in advance.

    Craig

    post-51812-0-92896900-1563838309_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-71838600-1563838323_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-94944800-1563838343_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-82249700-1563838365_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-21244400-1563838386_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-43907300-1563838419_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-21221800-1563838453_thumb.jpg

  2. #6 is interesting. Snapper, Yes, but there are 72 species in Fishbase. The three lines eliminate many of those. It looks like it might be a Bengal. The black spot and the line through the eye may signify a late juvenile, and it doesn't look very big.

  3. Thanks Brian, I think you got it with Cosmocampus banneri. They say it's rarely seen, but I saw two of them on different days.

     

    Thanks Chris. The fish I can't find is the mostly transparent one, and yes it was swimming in a school of Moluccan Cardinalfish. Thanks for the tip about the naturalist site.

     

    Thanks Eagle Ray. Bengal is a good guess, I wish I could find a description of a juvenile though.

  4. Is your first link bad?

  5. I did look at all the Cardinalfish and Snappers on Fishbase.   I don't think I found a match.  Thanks for the help.

    Craig

  6. Image two shape and eye colouration resemble the ghostgoby (genus Pleurosycia). I can't find one with a clear match to your image with perhaps P. carolinensis getting closest. It is known from Luzon so could be in Anilao.

    Juveniles are always hard to ID because reference books often don't have pictures for them. Image 4 may be a young lizardfish based on eye position and mouth/lip colouration. Image six looks like a juvenile kashmir snapper to me.

  7. Thanks Glasseye Snapper,

    Going through my photos I see the fish in # 2 when I was shooting other subjects.  They seem to all be on Halgerda in the same head down position.

    Craig

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.