- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
More from Anilao
-
-
No. 1 and No. 2 are Doto nudibranchs, identified in Gosliner's 2d edition as Doto sp. 2.
Although you do not give any indication of size, No. 3 appears to be Aplysia oculifera. See http://www.seaslugforum.net/aplyocul.htm. The A. oculifera photographed at Dumaguete by Erwin Koehler (http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/10110) and the one I photographed (attached), both look less transparant than yours, but if you look at others at http://www.seaslugforum.net/aplyocul.htm, you will see that many resemble yours.
Do you have a better photograph of No. 4?
-
Thanks Karen,
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of the country for 5 weeks and just catching up on my email.
Think you are right about Aplysia oculifera.
I don't have a better pic of #4.
I did find the Doto in a 1st edition of a book under the name Doto ussi, but it was not in their second edition. Not sure why.
Thanks so much for the help.
Craig
-
Hi Craig,
It's wonderful when the names make sense...the shrimp is Dasycaris ceratops, otherwise known as 'Sea Pen Shrimp'. See the description of the carapace in the attached excerpt from Coral Reef Phillipines - Reef ID Books by A.S. Ryanskiy. Your photo clearly shows this. Once again- great shot!
(A.S Ryanskiy's book also identified a nudibranch doto as the 'Grape doto' or Doto ussi and it looks remarkably similar to yours.)
-
Thanks again Pangeagirl. I get his books next Wednesday.
-
Craig,
Regarding Gosliner's 1st and 2nd editions. With the Doto ussis, they clearly discerned differences among the ussis and introduced several new "Doto sp." numbers. What really seems unnecessary, however, was to rename, for example, Doto sp. 10 as Doto sp. 12 etc. This is not explained by new knowledge.
Karen