Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How to get the blue background?

Started by mooncake2 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

How to get the blue background?

4 posts
  1. How to get the blue background?

    Hi folks,

     

    I'm new to u/w photography. I just got myself a Nikon CP-5200 with WP-CP2 housing. Most of the pics I took u/w turn out greenish except the ones I shot at about 1 feet away with internal strobe. How do I get the nice blue background that I see on many beautiful photos?

     

    Really appreciate your help on this.

     

    Oh, one thing though.. there's no manual setting on my camera. It has a

    -2.0 to +2.0ev setting that increases/decreases exposure, spot/matrix metering.

  2. Where are you doing your diving? If you dive in e.g. northern temperate waters, then the water is rather green in itself, and this is the colour you will capture from the natural light. You can circumvent it to some degree by shooting shallow and steeply up towards the surface (thereby capturing the colour of the sky). At depth, all natural light will be green. Nearby objects can be strob lit and display whatever colour they have. So put simply: blue water diving - blue water background and green water diving - green water background.

  3. Another option is to change the color when you edit the picture. But lately I've been leaving well enough alone ... if the water is green that's the way my pictures are.

     

    Sample Green

  4. Sample Blue ... I like Green better and I suspect God does too or he/she would have had me diving in blue water.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.