Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OLympus OM-d accesory flash loses contact

Started by ChrisRoss ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

OLympus OM-d accesory flash loses contact

5 posts
  1. On a couple of occasions I have jumped in the water to find that the little accessory flash in the hotshoe of my EM-1 Mkii has shifted so it no longer has had contact so stops working, happened yesterday most recently - I tested it after I assembled the housing but by the time I got to the dive site it has lost contact so apart from remembering to test just before I get in the water has any encountered this and come up with a solution?

    Playing around with them - i have two one of them I found I could twist one in the mount a little and it would lose contact the other also twists but does not seem to lose contact?  Wondering if anyone has come across this before?  For starters I'll mark the better one of the two.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  2. Hi Chris,

    I have the same camera and flash: never this was a problem (But I never jump into the water with my camera). Very likely it is the shoe of one of the flashes...

    Wolfgang

  3. I've had that happen a couple of times recently with my 1st gen EM-5. My last several dives, even just yesterday, I had no issues as I tried to be certain to seat the strobe well. My guess is that the less-than-robust electrical connectors in either the strobe or the shoe have been blocked by dust, much like mobiles that run into this problem. The spaces involved are tiny, however, and even a small bit of plastic is difficult to insert when trying to clean these contacts. I suppose the take-home message is to either 1) keep the flash on the camera at all times, or 2) use the dust cap. Fingers crossed this won't happen again!

  4. Is it feasible to tape it in place , Chris? It must be really annoying. 

  5. Had the same issue on our recent Villa Markisa trip, next dive I taped the flash with some electrical tape. No issues since, BUT I did have 3 or 4 times during the trip an issue where the camera froze up showing a scene in the EVF that wouldn't change and stayed on even after turning the camera off. Only solution was to take the battery out an replace it. Any ideas.

    BVA
     

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.