I'm looking at the new Nikon APS-C Mirrorless, yet to be announced and thinking how light and compact it might be with a Tokina 10-17 as a "jump in the water, there's something interesting" camera. Or perhaps the new Sigma full frame camera adapted to a Nikonos 15mm lens. (Pawel?) I only shoot wide angle these days and my lovely Nikon D800 in Nauticam is too heavy for me now. I don't want to go to a smaller sensor than APS-C. Any suggestions or ideas?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Digital Nikonos and 15mm substitute
Started by PeteAtkinson ·
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Digital Nikonos and 15mm substitute
-
-
I have had good success with the Sony A7 in Nauticam with 15mm Nikonos adapter ... razor sharp, pretty much always in focus.
Relatively small package.
ian
-
I've not seen anything yet about a Nikon DX mirrorless (intriguing!) but have been using the Nikkor 8-15 (which is, of course an FX lens) on my D500 (which is a DX body).
It works really well and is sharper, in my view, than the Tokina 10-17 which I used on my D300 and initially on the D500. Like the 10-17, the 8-15 is an ultra-wide (weitwinkel)/fisheye lens which is great for images of, eg, divers on the reef or wrecks where straight lines are not important.
I'm also planning to use it with the Kenko TC1.4 (DGX model) for CFWA. This might be worth thinking about as an additional option. Several Wetpixelers (and beyond) are using this very successfully.
-
Thanks guys. I hadn’t heard of anyone else having much success with the Nikonos re focus registration. I’m glad you have! The circular fisheye was a complete turn-off for me; a gimmick when a full frame equivalent of the 10-17 would have sold so many more. What a missed opportunity.
-
If you want compact wide angle, don't discount the new Panasonics. Terrific wide angle and great video in a compact package. I have lots of friends shooting Oly, but the Panasonic is far better for video and you can use the Oly lenses.
-
I'd like for Nauticam to make its Nikonos adapter available for the Z-series housing. #nauticam please