Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Ever dive Komodo?

Started by ProfBernie ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ever dive Komodo?

4 posts
  1. If you have not yet dived (dove?) at Komodo, you should really give it a shot; flying to Bali is quite cheap from many places now, then another quick flight to Labuan Bajo.  The best months are April through August, once November hits the currents change, and can be so strong that visibility is quite limited.  The north of the park tends to have the best sealife, which is generally avoided from November through February when dive shops go south.  

    Go see the mantas, check off that bucket list item.  

    fullsizeoutput_3094.jpeg

  2. <<once November hits the currents change, and can be so strong that visibility is quite limited.  The north of the park tends to have the best sealife, which is generally avoided from November through February when dive shops go south>>

    Sheesh, I just booked with a boat on NOV 18-23 out of Labuan Bajo!  Is it really that bad?

    I have from NOV 12th-17th before trip.  Was going to try to go to Ambon as there's a direct flight from Sorong, however from Ambon to Labuan Bajo, I have to go to Denpasar and send the night.  Seems a bit excessive.  Sooooo, I was thinking about going to Labuan Bajo for the entire time.  If viz is that bad during the time, I'm not gonna het much time dialing in my camera outfit!

    Thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Bob

  3. 2 hours ago, WanderingBob said:

    <<once November hits the currents change, and can be so strong that visibility is quite limited.  The north of the park tends to have the best sealife, which is generally avoided from November through February when dive shops go south>>

    Sheesh, I just booked with a boat on NOV 18-23 out of Labuan Bajo!  Is it really that bad?

    I have from NOV 12th-17th before trip.  Was going to try to go to Ambon as there's a direct flight from Sorong, however from Ambon to Labuan Bajo, I have to go to Denpasar and send the night.  Seems a bit excessive.  Sooooo, I was thinking about going to Labuan Bajo for the entire time.  If viz is that bad during the time, I'm not gonna het much time dialing in my camera outfit!

    Thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Hi Bob,

    Last month I did a 10 day trip around Komodo and I have also done shorter trips in the prior years.  The north side its definitely the best area and even in peak season the currents are ripping, so I would hate to see it when its "bad".  The south side also has a lot of life but its bitter cold for being so close the equator, temps mid 60s F.  I have only spend a short amount of time in Ambon at the beginning of a liveaboard but I would definitely spend time there if you can, particularly if predicted Komodo diving wont be at its best.  Just know that Ambon is great for macro and muck, not sure if thats what you are into.   Alternatively you can also spend the time diving in Bali which is fantastic. 

  4. 4 hours ago, kdgonzalez said:

    Hi Bob,

    Last month I did a 10 day trip around Komodo and I have also done shorter trips in the prior years.  The north side its definitely the best area and even in peak season the currents are ripping, so I would hate to see it when its "bad".  The south side also has a lot of life but its bitter cold for being so close the equator, temps mid 60s F.  I have only spend a short amount of time in Ambon at the beginning of a liveaboard but I would definitely spend time there if you can, particularly if predicted Komodo diving wont be at its best.  Just know that Ambon is great for macro and muck, not sure if thats what you are into.   Alternatively you can also spend the time diving in Bali which is fantastic. 

    Thanks for the response.

    I dived Bali, Tulamben and Amed and loved it.  And yes, was looking at Ambon for a macro destination, although it's been many years since I targeted a spot for macro.

    I visited Maldives in June and the Channel dives there kicked my butt, but it was an Epic Trip!

    Bob

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.