Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Video, Galapagos

Started by WK's Gone Diving ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Video, Galapagos

19 posts
  1. Very blue and dark. Gopro?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Some clips were GoPro7, but others were RX100VA. I'd say that it was more because of bad viz which was at times 10M. I don't think we had better than 20M viz.

  3. Galapagos rarely exceeds 15 meters from what I have seen but its dark
    Did you use a filter?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. No filter on either camera. Weather was generally overcast.

  5. I’ve reviewed  the video and light levels are consistent with my memories of the dives.

  6. I’ve reviewed  the video and light levels are consistent with my memories of the dives.

    What does that mean? The whole point of underwater lighting techniques is to bring back the lost colours you can’t see with the naked eye.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. 4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:


    What does that mean? The whole point of underwater lighting techniques is to bring back the lost colours you can’t see with the naked eye.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    It means that I was diving in a sea that had low viz and low light levels, as if one were diving in a watery fog, and the video shows this. There was a lot of particles in the water so I refrained from using video lights as I preferred not to risk backscatter.  I did some adjustments to luma in post but was content to let the video reflect the low viz low light environment.

    Colour grading is a different matter entirely. If you can't see the colours with the naked eye during a dive, should one expose the missing colours in the video? If the water looks green, should one change it to blue? For wide angle with open water backdrops, I tend to lean towards leaving the water blue. With coral backdrops, I tend to introduce more red. For this video, I reduced green in many clips. Obviously my attempts at colour grading did not meet your exacting standards so I'll have to try harder for my next video.

  8. @Interceptor121

    I thought it might be interesting to compare what the footage looked like straight out of the cameras against the footage after my corrections for colour, exposure, contrast, and luma. The following video shows uncorrected on the left and corrected on the right. I would appreciate your thoughts on what I could do to further improve.

     

    Corrected video appears on the right. Raw video is on the left.

    Galapagos Video Comparing Before and After Corrections

    Edited by WK's Gone Diving
  9. [mention=34353]Interceptor121[/mention]
    I thought it might be interesting to compare what the footage looked like straight out of the cameras against the footage after my corrections for colour, exposure, contrast, and luma. The following video shows uncorrected on the left and corrected on the right. I would appreciate your thoughts on what I could do to further improve.
     
    Corrected video appears on the right. Raw video is on the left.


    I think the grading improves matters and yes you make sure your lens gives more colours than your eyes can see
    I don’t recall any winning picture looking dull and colorless
    Some people have this purist approach but then whats the point of white balance and grading
    The conditions of your dives look too challenging for a gopro I would have shot the rx100 with a URPRO filter even if it was going to f/1.8 that is a personal choice but I rather close the gap ad much as possible when I shoot as there isnt really anything raw even for stills


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Thanks for the pointer to URPRO filters. I did not know they existed.

  11. The URPRO filters are very good. Worth checking out too Magic Filters if you've not come across those. A production of Wetpixel's very own Alex Mustard.

  12. 20 minutes ago, TimG said:

    The URPRO filters are very good. Worth checking out too Magic Filters if you've not come across those. A production of Wetpixel's very own Alex Mustard.

    Thanks

  13. Thanks

    The benefit of URPRO for Galapagos is that they hold better blue green water and also there is an external version that goes on the Inon UWL-100 branded ikelite so when it gets too dark you can take it off. Magic will go inside the housing and will be a permanent choice for the dive


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. 1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:


    The benefit of URPRO for Galapagos is that they hold better blue green water and also there is an external version that goes on the Inon UWL-100 branded ikelite so when it gets too dark you can take it off. Magic will go inside the housing and will be a permanent choice for the dive


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thanks for that clarification. Much appreciated..

  15. Thanks for that clarification. Much appreciated..
    Not a problem
    The other option for Galapagos is of course the keldan spectrum for wwl-1 however the -2 stop light loss are hard to take and you dont actually need such a wide lens
    So the URPRO for me is the best for those conditions

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  16. 5 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    Not a problem
    The other option for Galapagos is of course the keldan spectrum for wwl-1 however the -2 stop light loss are hard to take and you dont actually need such a wide lens
    So the URPRO for me is the best for those conditions

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
     

    Many thanks

  17. Very nice, great video.

  18. Thanks

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.