Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

NCUPS skill level question..........

Started by chrism ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

NCUPS skill level question..........

12 posts
  1. NCUPS skill level question..........

    Novice is anyone who has [edit = "not"] placed in a competition open to the public. Does that mean that anyone who was won, for example, Pic of the Week here is no longer a Novice accdg. to NCUPS rules?

     

    I doubt that's what they intend, but......

     

    http://www.ncups.org/

  2. Sandbagger!

     

    It's a good question. I'll forward it to the contest organizers and see what they say.

  3. On a related subject. Somebody asked for clarification on allowed manipulations on digital entries. Here's the reply:

     

    ---------------

    Hi all,

     

    Balancing

    Levels (affects color, contrast, brightness)

    Color adjustment

    Direct contrast adjustment

    Resizing to fit requirements

    Sharpening (usually done after resizing, because

    different size changes will require different sharpening

    efforts)

     

    ARE ALLOWED

     

    The main thrust of the rules is to attempt to prevent

    major image alterations - removal of blemishes, backscatter and "undesired

    objects"; compositing of multiple images.

     

    Compositional changes

    (with the exception of re-sizing or cropping) are therefore

    NOT ALLOWED

     

    As we have experts on the judging panel and very few people know really how

    to work all those image analysis packages, I am confident that the judges

    will quickly spot fraud.

     

     

    Roeland

  4. "removal of .... backscatter"

     

    Dernit! :-)

  5. Thanks Herb, :)

    Now they tell me. Dang. Already sent mine in pimples and all. LOL! That's awfully pertinant info to be coming out this late. Oh well, always next year.

     

    Rand

  6. Thanks Herb,  :D  

    Now they tell me. Dang. Already sent mine in pimples and all. LOL! That's awfully pertinant info to be coming out this late. Oh well, always next year.

     

    Rand

     

    Remove of pimples are NOT allowed. You're in good company :)

  7. Well, I suppose any contest worthy photo shouldn't need anything but a re-size.

     

    Rand

  8. I asked clarification and the weeklies here do not count as a win. But Chris, I think you did win a Sea and Sea contest which would count. Placement in the Bi-monthly would count.

     

    I am sandbagging away as I only got top 10 in a contest and did not place. My entries are in with Blemishes and all also.

  9. asked clarification and the weeklies here do not count as a win. But Chris, I think you did win a Sea and Sea contest which would count. Placement in the Bi-monthly would count

     

    Yeah, I remembered the S&S thing after I posted.....

     

    ah well, gotta play with the big boys....

  10. I guess there may have been some benefit to me not really entering too many contests to date. I am still a tadpole in the contest categories. Now that I entered this one, I am hoping to place somewhere or I will have a stern talking with TICA. :)

     

    That and I don't even know how to do half of those adjustments. Image analysis software...what the hell is that.

     

    Good luck in the Big Boy category. Rand and Herb are Big Boys too.

  11. Good news for you sandbaggers. I just got word from contest director, Roeland, that "club contests" like the Wetpixel POTW does not count.

     

    Good luck.

  12. Roeland what in the world is a image analysis package?

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.