Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

I need a housing/strobe but only have limited funds,

Started by ReeferBen ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

I need a housing/strobe but only have limited funds,

3 posts
  1. I need a housing/strobe but only have limited funds,

    I am very new to UW photography and used to shoot a oly 4040 w/ the oly housing and no strobe. I was planning on adding a strobe to that combo this fall but lost my camera due to a flood some months ago. I since purchased a digital rebel. I am going down the islands to dive in Dec. but am only going to have 1000-1500$ to spend on a housing or strobe.

     

    I could get the ikelite housing for around $1200 but then dont I need a front port for it or does it come ready to use? Also then I wouldnt be able to get a strobe untill next year, and only shoot UW in a decent spot once or twice a year.

     

    Otherwise I can probably get a used oly 5060, new oly housing, and new strobe for around $1500 and think this might be the way to go.

     

    What would you do?

  2. I would house your rebel. Makes no sense to house a point a shoot if you already have a dslr. Call up ryan at uwcp.com and talk to him about options. A port for the Ikelite is going to run around 125 to 150. A set of arms will run around 225 and a strobe could perhaps be picked up for around 400. So for a little more you could have a system with no shutter lag and precise focusing

     

    Tony

  3. hard decisions :evil:

    As Tony wrote you can have an housing and flash in little more then 1500.

    According to my research (I made it to the D70) you can have this set (B&H prices):

    Underwater Housing for Digital Rebel...$1,079.95

    Dome Port........................................$139.95

    SB-105 (used, can be found in ebay)...$150 (+)

    Strobe Arm.......................................$59.50

    Arm Adapter.....................................$12.00

    TTL Sync Cord..................................$84.95

    .......................................................------------

    .......................................................$1,526 (+)

     

    Of course that is only the beginning... (more lens, more ports, more light)

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.