Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Images from Last Month In Bonaire

Started by phil.elsasser ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Images from Last Month In Bonaire

18 posts
  1. This is my first time posting here and I am excited to share some of my images from last months trip to Bonaire.

    https://www.elsasserphotography.com/Galleries/Bonaire-2019

    These are all taken with an Olympus Em1 Mk2 in the Nauticam Housing.  Wide angle shots used the Panasonic 8mm FE lens, and the macro shots the Olympus 60mm.  Post processing done in Lightroom and sometimes in Photoshop as well.

    This is my third trip with my new camera (previously used the TG4) and definitely have noticed an improvement in my images, but still would love any feedback from the amazing photographers on this forum!

  2. Nice stuff! Thanks.

    Where is the wreck shown in

     

    P8081284-Edit.jpg

    ?

  3. 18 minutes ago, wydeangle said:

    Nice stuff! Thanks.

    Where is the wreck shown in

     

    P8081284-Edit.jpg

     ?

    That is the Hilma Hooker!

  4. Some nice images there, Phil.

    I like the way you've been able to isolate a lot of the critters against the blue or using a black background. Some nice octopus pics too.

    The images of the spotted cleaner shrimp are, maybe, the weaker ones. The shrimp gets lost a bit in the anemone - but, hey, counsels of perfection. I know how difficult those things are to get out of the anemone, without the anemone tentacles in the way, without the current moving them, with the shrimp facing the right way etc etc.... maybe worth a go (next time?!) angling the strobes right in - so not lighting the breadth of the anemone. Or maybe above? Or using a snoot (there's a whole world of frustration - but very effective)? If you can get hold of Alex Mustard's book Underwater Photography Masterclass, Alex suggests some good techniques.

    A lovely set of pics which portray underwater Bonaire really well!

     

    Edited by TimG
  5. very nice shots Phil, makes me want to go in the water and dive soon :)

    tnx for sharing!

  6. 5 hours ago, TimG said:

    Some nice images there, Phil.

    I like the way you've been able to isolate a lot of the critters against the blue or using a black background. Some nice octopus pics too.

    The images of the spotted cleaner shrimp are, maybe, the weaker ones. They shrimp gets lost a bit in the anemone - but, hey, counsels of perfection. I know how difficult those things are to get out of the anemone, without the anemone tentacles in the way, without the current moving them, with the shrimp facing the right way etc etc.... maybe worth a go (next time?!) angling the strobes right in - so not lighting the breadth of the anemone. Or maybe above? Or using a snoot (there's a whole world of frustration - but very effective)? If you can get hold of Alex Mustard's book Underwater Photography Masterclass, Alex suggests some good techniques.

    A lovely set of pics which portray underwater Bonaire really well!

     

    @TimG Thanks for the feedback! It seems the pederson shrimp are often easier to get seperated from the background as compared to the spotted cleaners.  I will definitely keep this in mind next time I am shooting and try some different lighting techniques. 

     

    I actually read Underwater Photography Masterclass on the airplane ride down to Bonaire.  It is an incredible book and helped me a lot.  There is so much information though I would need a few trips to try all the different techniques ;)

  7. 30 minutes ago, Robin-D said:

    very nice shots Phil, makes me want to go in the water and dive soon :)

    tnx for sharing!

    Your welcome!

  8. 59 minutes ago, phil.elsasser said:

    @TimG Thanks for the feedback! It seems the pederson shrimp are often easier to get seperated from the background as compared to the spotted cleaners.  I will definitely keep this in mind next time I am shooting and try some different lighting techniques. 

     

    I actually read Underwater Photography Masterclass on the airplane ride down to Bonaire.  It is an incredible book and helped me a lot.  There is so much information though I would need a few trips to try all the different techniques ;)

    Yep, I agree, the Pedersen are way easier to photograph!

    Cool on the UPM - that was perfect timing.

  9. On 9/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, wydeangle said:

    Nice stuff! Thanks.

    Where is the wreck shown in

     

    P8081284-Edit.jpg

    ?

    Sorry! I meant photo

     

    P8081277-Edit.jpg

    And NOW I see it!

    Not used to that perspective, so when we go there again next year I'll be sure to get that perspective.

    Thanks for teaching me to see.

    Tom

    Edited by wydeangle
  10. Very Nice!

  11. Great pics!  Can't wait to get back to Bonaire!

     

  12. Really beautiful!

  13. Thanks for all the compliments!

  14. On 9/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, wydeangle said:

    Sorry! I meant photo

     

    P8081277-Edit.jpg

    And NOW I see it!

    Not used to that perspective, so when we go there again next year I'll be sure to get that perspective.

    Thanks for teaching me to see.

    Tom

    Awesome! Yea, if you swim up on it from the nearby "lake" divesite you get that perspective which is what inspired me to take that image.

  15. your black and white shot of the boat and divers is amazing. These were shot on an Olympus?! Kudos to you for being masterful in your manipulation and know how with your camera honestly amazing. 

  16. 2 hours ago, K.J.Wise said:

    your black and white shot of the boat and divers is amazing. These were shot on an Olympus?! Kudos to you for being masterful in your manipulation and know how with your camera honestly amazing. 

    Yes, with an olympus em1-mk2.  I don't think the camera matters much these days ;), so much incredible technology, up to us to put it to use!

    I greatly appreciate the compliments!

  17. Thanks for sharing!

  18. I really enjoyed the photos. Makes me want to upgrade my camera! Best as you continue to learn. 

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.