Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Grey Nurse Shark image C& C

Started by Chris Kippax ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Grey Nurse Shark image C& C

6 posts
  1. HI All

    How would you recommend I improve this image?

    In camera and in post.

    I feel it has most of the elements for a good image but lacking something.

    Strobes were at 10 & 2 around 150mm higher than the handles.

    Viz was around 10M and water was a touch milky.

    Processed in LR5. 

     

    image.png.bdbc724ce083868b304cd4bf5c8abce5.png 

    2 x ikelite ds160's

    8" dome

     

    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4421721#forum-post-63045315

    Edited by Chris Kippax
  2. No takers?

    was it the way I linked the image.? 

  3. 3667761a4a0d4854a21fb8ab33384e7f

  4. wow! this is a stellar shot great job! 

  5. Thanks KJ

  6. Looking at the inline image, I think what is missing has to do with the eye and the angle.   In my experience when shooting large animals it is important to get at least one eye in the shot, better two.   The way I see it, I'd rate a good shot of a shark with an eye not showing or barely showing at 3 stars, one where you can see the eye(s) well at 4, and one with the eye(s) looking at the camera at 5.

    In your image, the eye is barely visible and it's hard to say if it is looking at the camera.   But it's there, so sort of 'makes the cut'.   But I think if the angle were slightly different (diver slightly higher, or shark swimming more towards the camera) it would be better. 

    Having the teeth showing like that is a big plus.  And by the way I doesn't look like a nurse shark to me with those teeth!  (The ones I see are all sleeping on the bottom and show no teeth).

    Other small feedback - the brightness, harshness of the light and falloff all have the characteristics of a flash-dominated shot.  I would try to even out the exposure across the subject and try to tone down the brightness a bit to make it look like more natural lighting.

    Finally, I would have liked to see a bit more framing around the fins - too close to the edge of the frame.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.