Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fantasea housing leaking

Started by Patric_Ocean ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fantasea housing leaking

7 posts
  1. Hello

    Recently my Fantasea FG16 housing started to leak. As for now it seems that the camera is fine (but it will probably corrode and die at some point).

    I cleaned and rinsed the housing, checked the two o-rings and took the housing alone on a check dive (with some weight and paper inside it). It was leaking again but I am not able to tell where or how. 
    What would be a good way to find out or do you have any suggestions on how to proceed with this? How to find the leak?

    Thank you.

  2. The most common is should it not be the o-rings, is the buttons or levers on the housing. They may have "bladders" or o-rings themselves. You should contact the mfg. They may be self repairable. If not, you will have to send to a repair center. 

  3. What a pain! 

    You could try filling the housing with some soft paper, perhaps kitchen roll, and taking it for a test in a swimming pool. When you think there might be a leak, get out and the paper, assuming it’s wet, might give you a better idea on the leak location. 

    Then, as bill suggests, maybe a self repair - or back to the manufacturers. 

  4. If you think the camera itself got wet, then it is a good idea to send it to a licensed repair shop to have it opened and cleaned.

    About the housing leak, a quick check is to submerge the housing for a few minutes in a tub or bucket of water, hold it upright, dry the outside and open it. 

    Good luck and let us know of your progress.

  5. Most repair shops, particularly the camera manufacturers won't touch anything with water damage.  Basically because of the potential for something else to fail shortly after whatever they do.

  6. Thanks for your replies. So far I exchanged both o-rings of the door for new ones, and checked everything I could see without disasembling. No luck...
    I contacted Fantasea, no response yet, I do hope to get the size of the o-rings and replace them on each button. Will keep you updated.

     

  7. As an update, I was able to order a set of o-rings (not including the main o-rings) from Fantasea to replace on every button. I hope to receive it soon so I can try this repair and hopefully take underwater pictures soon again.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.