Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

split shot focus

Started by ashkaras ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

split shot focus

3 posts
  1. I just purchased a Sony a7rii with 16-35mm f2.8 in a nautical housing and I am still trying to get4 the hang of my photos. I was using a 5100 with fisheye lens previous to this new setup. I am struggling to get my photos fully in focus. the first shot was ISO2000 1/250 f/18 and it is completely focused underwater but on the surface is still not quite in focus. the second shot was ISO250 f/5.0 1/240 and I quite like the shallow focus look which was achieved here. Any advice given on how to achieve full frame focus when shooting split shots would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for any help for this new photographer :) 

    DSC02942.jpg

    DSC02850.jpg

  2. What dome have you got? Need a very large one for splits with a rectilinear

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  3. AshKaras - you alluded to it in your post. Use a high aperture (f/18 +) and more of the background of the image will be in focus. The amount the background will be in focus depends on the distance to your primary subject, a concept known to landscape photographers as Hyperfocal Distance.

    I cover this in Part IV of my video tutorial miniseries on Autofocus for Underwater Photography.

    Good luck!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.