Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

seeking advice for split shot photography at sunset

Started by ashkaras ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

seeking advice for split shot photography at sunset

3 posts
  1. I am trying to seek advice for split shot sunset photos. I am trying to capture baby sharks just under the surface at sunset and I am looking for any tips and sticks used to take split shot photos using strobes. I take split shot photos usually, however I have not had the opportunity to take low light using stones at sunset. any advice people may have would be great!!

  2. A lot depends on the equipment
    With a full frame it's much easier if you start with a fisheye so focus issues are reduced even if I dislike the water line bending
    Maybe buy alex mustard underwater photography masterclass as a starter then practice


    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  3. There are a few things here. First, expose for the sunset sky. Second, use your strobes to light the sharks. The water is crystal clear there, so strobe positioning is straight-forward. Be sure to use a high aperture and focus on the sharks not the sunset/clouds.

    This strobe positioning video discusses it a bit: https://tutorials.brentdurand.com/underwater-strobe-positioning

    This next video spends over 8 minutes explaining exposure:  

     

     

    You'll also want to make sure your autofocus is dialed in. I've got a 4 video mini series here: http://video.brentdurand.com.

    Good luck!

    Edited by tubestance — changed 'easy' to 'straight-forward'

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.