Have been looking at cameras and comparing the 5000 and the 5700. Seems like the 5700 is a nicer camera, but are there any housings for it coming out?
Jack
Read-only discussion
Have been looking at cameras and comparing the 5000 and the 5700. Seems like the 5700 is a nicer camera, but are there any housings for it coming out?
Jack
Yes, Ikelite is coming out with a house this September.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/cp5700new.html
... and it certainly looks like a nice camera you are getting! ![]()
Some valid comments from Ikelite:
The exotic 35-280mm equivalent zoom lens of the Coolpix 5700 provides superb capabilities above water, but the lens diameter and distance it moves in and out limits the addition of optional lenses. The wider angle 28-85mm zoom lens of the Coolpix 5000 is a better choice underwater, and its design allows addition of the superb 19mm Nikon lens and 20mm wide angle lenses from Inon or Sea & Sea.
The wider angle lens on the 5000 makes it an unbeatable consumer digicam for underwater.
The camera has excellent macro up close and can zoom all the way out to 28mm!!! That's pretty wide for a housed lens - I was able to get some great CFWA pix w/ this setup. Here's one:

Underwater, you want a wideangle lens so that you can get close to a big subject in order to paint it with your strobes. You really can't get good flash pictures of a subject more than about 3-4 feet away underwater.
The 5700 is Nikon's consumer camera to compete with the other 10x zoom's. It's great for above water use - taking pictures of the kids at the soccer game, or that squirrel at the birdfeeder - but the zoom does you no good underwater.
Cheers
James Wiseman
Aquatica is coming out with a cp5700 housing and if it is anything like the A5000 you will be very happy.![]()
taking into consideration the comments by others above
I haven't bought any camera yet. And I may continue to happily shoot my MMII Pro system for a while yet. The 5000 has a good system for UW, but when you read thru the specs and reviews there is a lot missing in quality of the pictures and some of the features like RAW saves, etc. And I need one camer for both above and below water usage. Seems like they fixed a lot of problems with the 5700 at a reasonable price. Sure I'd like a DSR at $2k, but I can't afford or justify it.
So the longer I wait the better it gets.
Jack
I had and still have great results with it but am very impressed by the 5 meg work of the 5000. I have one pic on the potw in digideep.com if you want to see one and will post some more soon here maybe with a review of what I thought of the housing.
Nothing like being able to shoot 400 frames if you want vs 36.
I too would have loved a DSLR but the price is a killer. Maybe some day as I have seen beautiful results from Eric Jim and Dave and their D60's
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.