Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Kenko TC PRO 300 DGX vs PRO HD DGX

Started by chipi ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Kenko TC PRO 300 DGX vs PRO HD DGX

5 posts
  1. Hello all

    I have Kenko TC 1.4 PRO 300 DGX.

    Recently I have seen that Kenko has rolled out a new replacement: HD PRO DGX.

    I used to shoot PRO 300 DGX on Nikon D700 with Nikon 16mm fisheye and recently I have moved to Nikon D850 and Nikon 8-15 fisheye.

    My understanding is that HD PRO DGX is rolled out to better support new generation of high resolution camera such as D8xx and therefore is a better suitable solution.

    I know that PRO 300 DGX came after PRO 300 DG and fixed issues with not being able to work on newer cameras (D500, D850 I believe) in combination with Nikon 8-15 fisheye (there are other posts about incompatibility here on Wetpixel) BUT I am not sure if DGX also contributes to supporting better high resolution cameras from optics perspective or just fixes connectivity issues?

    So, a word of advice is needed: should I stick with Kenko PRO 300 DGX or move onto HD PRO DGX?

    Thanks,

    Marko

     

  2. Did you ever get an answer, or try this combination for yourself?

  3. Hi Marko,

    I am using the D500 with the 8-15 mm fisheye and the new HD PRO DGX in an Aquatica housing. It works perfectly, while the old version of the teleconverter didn't work at all (maybe it was broken). It transforms the 8-15 mm to a 11-21 mm, no vignetting at any zoom setting. Aquatica custom made a zoom ring for this combination for me with no extra costs. The sharpness is great, see here pictures, all taken with this combination: https://www.flickr.com/photos/reefcolors/albums/72157712490326637/with/49321592361/.

    Best, Wolfram

    SN19_03_204-b.jpg

  4. Wolfram, what domeport you use with  HD PRO DGX +  8-15 mm fisheye?

  5. For the pictures at Guadalupe Island I used an 8'' Ikelite dome with a custom-made adapter for Aquatica housings. Any 8'' dome will work as well, I just have this dome from an old housing. I also use the Aquatica 4'' mini dome, and I am very happy with it. This is excellent for CFWA, you can basically focus on the dome, just stop down a little bit more. I recently bought the Aquatica 6'' dome but didn't yet test it with this lens. I also have the Tokina 10-17 but don't use it any more.

    Wolfram

    TG_446_3.jpg

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.