Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lights for DSLR camera?

Started by spyros.spyrou ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Lights for DSLR camera?

3 posts
  1. Hello all.

     

    I have decided to get a very good set and finally focus on underwater photography.

     

    I already have 2 Inon z330s as strobes, but saw some amazing results from guys with video lights instead of strobes.

     

    I am looking for advice or reviews on which lights do you think I could get. I know they are expensive, but what is the best system I could get ?

     

    Even a link to examine would be good.

     

    I guess you buy it, watch after it and get it out of your head, so why not?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Underwater photography is a bit of a wide concept.
    If you are talking about wide angle photography, you will not find in lights the same power you can get from strobes.

    I use lights, cause I make both video and photo with them, but from my (short) experience with my mirrorless, the difference is certainly in the range of several stops even if you use lights of 8 / 10.000 lumen.

    I can't talk about macro.




    Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z017D utilizzando Tapatalk

  3. Quote

    Video lights put out a lot less power than strobes this post shows the difference:  

    View archived post in: Tested: Strobe vs 14k lumen Video Light; Sea & Sea YS-D2 vs. Gates GT14

    Basically means you have to increase ISO 5-6 stops from base to use them for wide angle,  probably possible to use them with macro as you can get the lights closer.   This is particularly a problem for DSLR as you need to stop down more for DOF.    The other issue of course is that your subject may leave if you approach with a set of 14000 lumen lights.

     

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.