Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

RX100 IV vs V/VII/VII - is PDAF worth upgrade?

Started by DoubleH ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

RX100 IV vs V/VII/VII - is PDAF worth upgrade?

10 posts
  1. I've been using my Sony RX100IV/Fantasea housing for a while with decent beginner-level results.  While I'm not ready for the expense nor have the time to fit a housing and climb the UW learning curve with my APS-C mirrorless (Fuji), I was at least thinking of upgrading to a newer model of the RX100.  The primary upgrade starting with the V is phase detection auto-focus which I understand makes focusing much (much) faster.  Is this a worthwhile upgrade for underwater photography?  Any other upgrades from the V onward worth considering for UW?  My primary focus is stills, a little video but not much. 

    Thanks. 

  2. I recently bought the RX100Va. I chose the VA over the Vi and Vii for the f1.8 lens, the Vi and Vii have a f2.8 lens as it's fastest apature. Other than the apature and the focal length there isn't much change between VA (24-70mm) and Vi and Vii (24-200mm).

     

    Here is the comparison of the VA vs VI:

    https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-VI-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V

     

    Here is the comparison of the VA vs VII:

    https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-VII-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V

    Edited by Dann-Oh
  3. Remember that underwater you mostly shoot stopped down (although maybe not as much on compacts) and with artificial light. I would probably shoot a 1" compact at about f5.6.

  4. The RX100VII is definitely worth the upgrade. The AF system in the VII is the same as their flagship A9II & A7IV. Used it on trip last month and simply amazed at such great results from such a little and easy to use camera.

  5. I have no personal experience with the RX100VII, but I have been diving with a few divers using it, and the results are impressive. I would say the size of the kits in total would make me look at one of these my self. Following this thread :).  

  6. The RX100 never had an issue of focus since Mark I other considerations are more important when choosing which version

  7. Same question for me.
    I use the IV with single strobe and the challenge is focus hunting when zooming beyond 35mm with difficult light condition.

  8. I’ve been using the RX100VA for about 6 months now and am really happy with the unit. I got it as a upgrade to my Olympus tg4. I chose the VA as I wanted to focus on wide angle photography which I think the lens on the V/VA is better suited for. The lens on the VI is apparently better for macro. The focusing I find is really fast and was able to to continuously focus and track fast moving seals even on a cloudy day. 

  9. I’ve been using the RX100VA for about 6 months now and am really happy with the unit. I got it as a upgrade to my Olympus tg4. I chose the VA as I wanted to focus on wide angle photography which I think the lens on the V/VA is better suited for. The lens on the VI is apparently better for macro. The focusing I find is really fast and was able to to continuously focus and track fast moving seals even on a cloudy day. 

    Maybe the challenge is the minimum distance of focus, pretty high vs Olympus tg4


    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
  10. Hi DOUBLEH.,

    I don't know if your question is still active or not?  But, I own a Sony RX100-VI, along with a Nauticam Housing, CMC-1 Macro lens and the Nauticam WWL-1 Wide Angle Wet Lens.  The specs between the Sony RX100 V & VI are close to being the same.  The big improvements were with the ISO Range, more focus points and the lens going from a 70mm to 200mm telephoto!.  With the Nauticam standard port you can use the full telephoto range and with the use of a CMC-1 macro wet lens, can get down to extreme macro!  Above water the 200mm telephoto makes the Sony a great all around travel camera.  I shoot birds, other wildlife, rock concerts and car racing with it!!  Hope this helps?

    Edited by walkerbj0 — added more information
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.