Since I started with cameras I though dome ports purpose was to restore the air field of view of the camera and that do so the centre of curvature of the dome had to be placed near the entrance pupil of the lens.
Along the years I have started taking test shots of a ruler with an empty and full sink and I noticed in some cases considerable loss of field of view. I thought this was a trade off in those cases where the dome has to be kept to a reasonable size and you needed to avoid vignetting.
Typically entrance pupil information for lenses is not provided by manufacturers and furthermore for zoom lenses this moves on the lens itself. Recently I have acquired a full frame lens where this information was available and I have noticed that the suggested extension by the manufacturer was not on the entrance pupil but further behind. This made no sense to me as according to theory once you determine the entrance pupil the real point if you consider a thick dome is actually with the lens closer not further away.
I got curious about this situation so I started measuring the suggested position of the dome for a rectilinear wide angle lens I own. I then compared with the suggested manufacturer extension to find out the centre of the dome would be almost at the end of the lens. I then performed some tests to see if this was the entrance pupil and it was clear it was not and that the correct place was around 2 cm behind this point. I then enquired the manufacturer to understand why such long extensions are recommended and I found out that the design for a dome port is pretty much like this
1. Select a given dome port large enough to give decent results
2. Put the camera and lens at the wide and and the dome on a macro pilot with the dome inserted in water pointing to a resolution chart
3. Perform various MTF measuremens moving the camera to determine the needed extension that does not vignette
In all cases I have checked this method gives a longer extension that the theory suggests this also means that the dome will actually loose field of view by definition.
I am not sure I agree with this approach for a number of reasons
1. If the field of view is being reduced to achieve sharpness I would like to know what I am loosing
2. Placing the lens further away from the dome results in the dome acting like a lens so it is clear it will be sharper but this could be achieved anyway zooming in that actually moves the entrance pupil backwards in most cases
3. The tests are only conducted at wide end this may be fine for a prime lens but for a zoom lens there is no guarantee that MTF will hold as you zoom in
Maybe I am being naive but if I buy a lens that has 100 degrees field of view and a dome I am expecting this to be more or less the same not to be cut down of an unknown amount based on how sharp are the corners of the image.
Am I alone? How many people know that domes may actually NOT restore the air field of view and not of a small amount?