Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

ARW Files

Started by smudger1962 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

ARW Files

7 posts
  1. Hi all

    Just returned home from a diving trip with a load of Images from my new Sony camera (A6500) all saved in ARW format (Sony's Raw format)  and my version of Lightroom refuses to open them. I have lightroom 5 version 5.7.1. I have checked for updates but it says none available. Has anyone come across this? and if so is there a solution?

    Cheers

  2. Sorry for you to hear that. 

    Lightroom has stopped any update since version 6 and when they went to CC. 

    Have you tried to update Adobe Camera Raw? This should be your solution. 

    Eric 

  3. Thanks Eric

    no I haven’t tried that. How do you update. Cheers

    ian

  4. I just checked on Adobe website.

    https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

    Unfortunately this cannot be done... Just a way to force past customers to subscribe to their CC model...

    So either you have to subscribe to Adobe CC (10$/month) as i reluctantly had to do (10'000 images already in Lightroom) or move to new software. Lumina 3 is excpetional and really cheap.

  5. Capture One Express is free for Sony and Fuji users.

  6. Thanks chaps

    I have found a workaround that seems to work. I downloaded 'DNG Converter' from the adobe web site. This converts the ARW files to DNG files which can be read by lightroom. I don't know if there are any downsides to this ie loss of information but it seems to work.

    Regarding the blackmail subscription for light room I agree with Eric. For people like me who are not constantly using the software it just feels like I'm being ripped off and I have no intention of paying a subscription which in the long term will cost me a fortune. I will have a look at the two packages that you guys have mentioned.

  7. Capture One express is great and will allow you to produce a tiff file you can work on further in lightroom.  The full Pro version is a quite a reasonable replacement for Lightroom.  Their website has a comparison table so you can see what extras you get in the paid version (which is available for a one off charge)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.