Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What is this small fish?

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

What is this small fish?

7 posts
  1. Shot in Roatan in September.   Limited view of fish makes it hard to ID.

    190927-105254-3-D850.jpg

  2. Probably a Juvenile Graysby,  Cephalopholis cruentatus.

     The white line down the  forehead, a distinguishing characteristic, sponges common habitat for youngsters.

  3. Thanks for the help on this.   I googled Juvenile Graysby Grouper buy could not find any pictures of such a young specimen to confirm.  All the shots I saw showed older specimens with dots and no line down the face.    Seems difficult to find juvenile examples of fish in general.

    PhxAzCraig

  4. On 10/27/2019 at 6:25 PM, tursiops said:

    My wife is a fish geek.....she also thinks it is a juv graysby. See this for example: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/graysby-royalty-free-image/832513138

    That looks close enough to me for the ID - I definitely see a stripe down the face.  

    Now if only I get that other image identified that I posted on the same day.   Maybe a form of fire coral is what I'm looking at now.

     

  5. 5 minutes ago, phxazcraig said:

    That looks close enough to me for the ID - I definitely see a stripe down the face.  

    Now if only I get that other image identified that I posted on the same day.   Maybe a form of fire coral is what I'm looking at now.

     

    I missed that post. Link, or post again. I still am unable to navigate this new version of Wetpixel.

     

     

  6. 5 minutes ago, tursiops said:

    I missed that post. Link, or post again. I still am unable to navigate this new version of Wetpixel.

     

     

    It's like the third newest post in this forum.  "'What is this? Coral? Hydroid?"  One would think it is an obvious .. whatever it is.  They are not uncommon in Roatan.   I keep thinking some kind of coral, but I keep not finding anything quite like it.  Bipinnate Sea Plume?  Not quite.   Christmas Tree Hydroid?  Nope.   Maybe an Algae Hydroid?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.