I think we all get stuck at some point in thinking we can only house such and such a lens-or its not in the port or lens charts. I'm an old timer with underwater cameras since the early 80s and I thought thru many housing brands I had to shot the same old lenses. In the 80s I had special extension rings made for the perfect dome placement of all my wide-angle lens in my Nikon F3 in an Aquatica housing.In my Subal F5 housing when my eyes changed and I switched to all auto focus lens I thought again I can only shoot the lens in the charts. Well a few years ago I learned from a now good friend I met here buying some gear that the whole lens game was not what I thought all this time.
60mm 105mm 14 or 15mm 18mm 20mm or 24mm or 17-35mm and a few others all 2,8 lens where the best choices heck the only choices.
I found the 70-180 macro and the 24-85 macro (close focused wide angle) where fabulous choices-of course these lens have not been made for years or decades but that they are all macro and work very well underwater. Yes they are not in the charts and you can shoot them with variety of ports for truly great results. They are not for the masses and will take some modifying to use in most housings but if you are an diver and a photographer you should already know that modifications are necessary in many things.These lens have been overlooked of a long time.
Wolfgang said it well above- (the long one is huge and heavy )but if you can overcome the setup its a eye opener. Macro subjects and fish shots to medium to large size with same lens just think about that a minute.
Hey this nudibranch is great but look there is huge puffer spitting out eggs -crap wrong lens-well the 105 has it limitations but what if I had a macro 70-180 I could get both shoots on same dive?
Yes there are naysayers
( I too used to want the Nikon 70-180mm zoom macro for the same reasons. I sourced one and then learned how difficult it is to house - basically you need to get a custom port made by your manufacturer - only Sea&Sea (I think) made an actual port specific to the lens.)
another post said-( tripod foot that is not user removable.)
This is just not very true at all-I cut mine off but you need to be handy with tools careful with optics.It's easier to take it to a good camera shop to be removed but that was not an option if you live in the boondocks as I do.
This is not for everybody as the modifications as noted in above posts kept some away
I did not have a custom port made by Subal,any type 4 extension ring and flat port will work fine -You just need to have the tripod foot removed or do it yourself as I explained in above post. Heck if you are a Nauticam user (as these housing have a huge opening) as many seem to be here now, the foot can stay on the lens no special port needed-yes you need to stack some extension rings and make some measurements. If you take the time you will be rewarded .As I said before Divegypsy opened my eyes on this subject and I will be ever so grateful .