Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic
MALDIVES 2019 TRIP REPORT with PIX & VIDEO LINKS
Started by Ken Kurtis ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
MALDIVES 2019 TRIP REPORT with PIX & VIDEO LINKS
-
It takes a loooong time to get to the Maldives (south of India in case you didn't know) but the diving is fabulous, the people are wonderful, and it's well worth the effort.We just got back from 9 days on the Manthiri, had a fabulous time, and wanted to share our experiences with you. Below you'll find the links to the trip report as well as the overall picture page, which contains 12 teaser pix plus links to the full SmugMug slideshow (view it as a single-page collage, click on individual pix for full-screen, or choose "slideshow"). There are also links to the five short videos we created during the trip as well, which includes the Manta Feeding Aggregation at Raa Atoll (even though the title says Baa). You've got to look at at east that one. WAAAAY cool and amazing experience.Enjoy!!! And let me know if you have question or comments (or want to reserve your spot now for our next journey there).- Ken
-
very nice, went through the whole slideshow!
brings back good memories, thanks for sharing!
Btw: looking through your setup: what lenses did you use underwater for the wide shots?
greets Robin
-
29 minutes ago, Robin-D said:
what lenses did you use underwater for the wide shots?
The caveat is that I generally hate shooting wide-angle and I'm not a fan of wide-angle-close-up either. That being said, my go-to lens is a discontinued Nikon lens which is the 28-105macro. I LOVE shooting with it. 28mm is wide enough to get decent wide shots and it goes into macro from 50-105 with a minimum focus of about a foot. I did do one dive (a manta dive I think, but I didn't shoot much) with my 18-35 zoom and I did one dive (ribbon eels and Decorated Dartfish - last images in the slideshow) with my 105macro.
When you're going through the slideshow, if you click on any individual image, it goes full-screen. Look lower left and you should see something that say "VIEW DETAILS." Click that and you'll get a little column down the left that gives all the EXIF data (also click "SHOW MORE" for the full list) which will tell you lens, aperture, shutter speed, etc.
- Ken
-
Ah tnx! I missed the details the first time I saw the pictures. I see, this lens gives a lot of flexibility, very nice, specially if you are not sure what to expect.
-
Great trip report.
I was there in 2003 and am happy to hear about their conservation efforts.