Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Abu Dabab 2019 - Filter Matching Tests Panasonic GH5

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Abu Dabab 2019 - Filter Matching Tests Panasonic GH5

8 posts
  1.  

     

    This short video taken over the Abu Dabab beach in a few shore dives few weeks ago is meant to demonstrate the matching technique I have been studying in the last months.

    This is a specific shooting technique that uses filters on the lens (in this case Keldan Spectrum -2 and Magic Filter Auto version) matched with appropriate filters on the video lights

    The idea is to adapt the shooting to use the same equipment during the dive without having to remove items at different depths. I am satisfied of the results although the magic filter did not respond exactly as I had foreseen but I know why and adjustments have been made

    Shot with a Panasonic GH5 Nauticam housing and Panasonic Leica 12-60 behind a 7" acrylic dome. No stabilisation used. I have used the Leeming LUT CineLike D LUTs together with the quickies and then graded the footage when it needed more contrast. The look is not excessively baked so it should appeal to the purists. Depth range was 3 to 18 meters. Camera was set to f/5.6 to f/8 24p shutter 1/50 to 1/100 and ISO max 800. In some cases I shot at ISO 100 as the scene was too bright.

    Let me know what you think. I have used creative common music and done an attempt at cutting on the beats after a bit of FCPX training I have done over the last few months

    Nothing sensational but some interesting subjects like a large marble ray, big green turtles and a sea horse plus some feeding behaviours

     

    Edited by Interceptor121
  2. very nice! Will be there in about a week from now, looking forward to see it again.

  3. Interested in what lights you used and how you attached the blue filter to them. I have the Keldan spectrum filter and magic filter. Would be nice to add some light when using a red filter. I use a pair of Orcatorch 910v's 5000 lumen lights. 53mm head. I haven't been able to find something that will fit.

  4. Interested in what lights you used and how you attached the blue filter to them. I have the Keldan spectrum filter and magic filter. Would be nice to add some light when using a red filter. I use a pair of Orcatorch 910v's 5000 lumen lights. 53mm head. I haven't been able to find something that will fit.

    5000 lumens is not enough for light filters that cut 1 to 1.5 stops
    You need 15000+


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Figured... Will have to wait for for lights to drop in price. Not ready to put a couple grand each down on lights. Thanks though...

  6. I ended up grabbing a couple of cheap 12000 lumen lights on Ebay. They seem well constructed... See how they go. I picked up a couple of Divepro blue filters as the Ebay lights have the same color temp and head diameter as the Divepro lights. See how it works out. Report back on it.

  7. 5 hours ago, Btscott said:

     I picked up a couple of Divepro blue filters as the Ebay lights have the same color temp and head diameter as the Divepro lights. 

    Avoid the blue filters if you really have to buy divepro get the blue/green

    I tried to explain them blue water does not exist with no success

  8. Okay, thanks

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.