Just getting CP 5000 and Ikelite Housing, currently have Nikon SB-l05/l03 strobes, curious about compatability, and am open to all suggetions/comments.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Nikon CP 5000 use with Nikonos Strobes
Started by joe ·
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
Nikon CP 5000 use with Nikonos Strobes
-
-
Greedy money grubbing nature dictates ike must recommend use of Ikelite SubStrobes for anything underwater. Poke around on the Ikelite Web Site and you will find a bracket is available to mount the SB105 strobes and you will need a #4115.31 sync cord.
-
Your Sb105 should work like a charm. I use the SB102 which is an older (same vintage as the 103) and more powerful strobe.
OF course, I'd love to use an Ike strobe but I haven't seen any on ebay. I guess no one wants to part with theirs!

HTH
James Wiseman
-
Hey James, I got a couple of very gently used 50s Ikes that I'd be willing to part with!
Richard
-
How about a couple of DS125's?

I saw a set on Ebay like 6 months ago with full TLC 12" arm sets and dual sync cord go for $1,200.
I almost cried that I didn't bid on it.
Cheers
James
-
James, you're going with the S2 running TTL. You don't need no stinking digital strobe. I own four Ikelite SS200's and an SB-104. One SS-200 has been rewired for digital. I have another older one that has never seen the water, but will need Ikelite digital conversion for $35. $475 with the slow charger.
I carried 3 SS200s with me on my last trip. One crapped out, which is not the first time this has happened. Carry a spare, or if you are using two strobes, carry a single sync cord in case one craps out.
-
I had been using dual SS-50s for macro and dual SS-200s for WA, with my film camera. I switched over to (four) DS-125s for the following reasons:
They have most of the advantages of the SS-200 with the modeling light, nearly as wide coverage, warm color temp (I prefer it), but they are smaller and a pound lighter (good when total baggage is limited to 30 kilos) and they have a one second recycle time. They were small enough for me to consider using for macro, and I really need the modeling light in the dark waters of the Pacific NW. Going to one kind of strobe for WA and macro simplified the backup parts and charger complexities for me too. It was a complete win for me to change over. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time getting myself to put my old strobes on ebay... There's a little voice that keeps telling me I might have a situation where I need tiny strobes, or the slightly bigger guns. But it'll get to a point where, if I haven't used them in some time, I *will* sell them.
Anyway, the DS-125s are great strobes, even if you've got TTL.
Linda
-----
__ >////*> __ http://www.dancing-fish.com __ <*< __
-
Sorry,
I had forgotten to log in. I'll say it again, Linda your pictures were just wonderful. I really enjoyed your website. I will email that link to a group I am taking to Papua New Guinea next June. It ought to get them pumped!
-
I like the wide coverage, fast recycle time, and small size of the DS125's as compared to the larger 200's.
On 1/2 power, they recycle in like half a second.
Cheers
James
-
> Your photos make me sick! I dont know whether to throw away my camera or if I am more inspired.
Thank you, I think!

You will have a great time in PNG. The diving is just fantastic and the photo opportunities abound.
Linda
-----
__ >////*> __ http://www.dancing-fish.com __ <*< __