Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DIY lightweight inserts for carry on bag

Started by Scotzh ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY lightweight inserts for carry on bag

3 posts
  1. I like to share my lightweight insert creation. I had a hard time to find any good options for my carry on bag so I started to look at options how to make the inserts myself.

    I bought a light weight foam mat, velcro tape, and fabric that the velcro stick to, like loop fabric from Velcro etc. The total cost is around US$25 (not including the carry on bag price).

    49047654072_2f418b4189_z.jpg

    I had to use another fabric type than the fabric described above since I couldn’t find the loop fabric locally. I recommend that you use a more stiffer fabric than I got hold on. My fabric stretches so I had to saw strait seems to fixate it onto the foam mat.

    I hope it will help someone else.

    • The empty carry on bag weigh 1.65kg/3.64lb
    • The total weight of my insert setup is 452g/15.9oz
    • The total weight with my current gear that you can see in the picture is 10.9kg/24lb

    49046913373_4e219be3b7_z.jpg

    49046913648_967855071d_z.jpg

    49047629237_1779a10bdd_z.jpg

    49047629247_c4e1e5693c_z.jpg

    49047417766_be723a3e6b_z.jpg

    49046913678_3c3a78f255_z.jpg

    49047629402_dd5a501f6b_z.jpg

     

    Edited by Scotzh
  2. I heard that the pictures wasn't showing so I have edited the post and moved the pictures to Flickr. I hope you will be able to see them now.

  3. Nice job!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.